amp pairing with RE0, icon mobile or T3.
Nov 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EraserXIV

Headphoneus Supremus
anyone have experience with both amps and can give an impression as to which pairs better with the RE0?

they are both in the same price range, but before i lay down some serious cash for these i'd like to make sure i made the right decision. the icon mobile is a big bigger i understand, but it also has a USB DAC function which is nice (but not a necessity).
i am currently pairing the RE0 with a Fiio E1, it works fine, some improvements, but nothing drastic.

i love the RE0s highs and i have no problem with the RE0s bass, I actually kind of like that it isn't too boomy or forward. the detail and clarity of the RE0 is great and something that i cannot do without.

however, the RE0s mids can be improved a bit which is what i'm looking for in the amp. right now the mids aren't bad at all, but are not as forward or clear as i would like them. i was looking at getting a small portable amp to rectify this issue, and the icon mobile and T3 came up in my research. i was wondering if anyone could tell me which would give me what i'm looking for in the amp. again, i don't really want the amp to detract from the detail and clarity of the RE0. bass isn't an issue, an amp that increases bass to much would actually be something i dont want. mids are something that i'm looking to improve, but without too much sacrifice to the highs, and the detail and clarity. some warmth is okay, but in extreme moderation.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 10
The T3 will give you more bass impact from the RE0, and I consider that the Achilles heel with these IEMs - I'll be getting a pair of PL50s and binning the RE0 as soon as I land in Singapore : I'm not happy with the quality control. Have no idea on the Icon Mobile.

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 10
would you consider the T3 a warm amp? i've read that some say the T4 was a warm amp.

what does the T3 do to the highs and the mids on the RE0? also how does it affect the detail and clarity?

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would you consider the T3 a warm amp? i've read that some say the T4 was a warm amp.

what does the T3 do to the highs and the mids on the RE0? also how does it affect the detail and clarity?

Sometime in the next couple of months, Skylab will post his review of the T3 and I believe he will give you the details you need. I find the T3 reasonably neutral, with a tendency to warmth, but I like a warm sound : add any of the gain settings and you will get better bass impact at the expense of some clarity/detail : its not like you've just strapped a set of bass cannons on, but some RE0 owners wont like the trade-off. Unfortunately, you really need to hear it for yourself, but at the price iBasso are asking I felt that it was a worthwhile 'toe in the water' : I am now willing to spend more on a good portable/transportable amp in early 2010. If I had concerns about the ability of a portable to generate enough grunt for fullsize cans, the T3 has given me a taste of the possibilities : I actually think they made it a little *too* small physically to be taken seriously by some.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 10
I have both and the T3, without a doubt. It works well with the RE0's. The Icon Mobile doesn't do much and even brings out some of the worst characteristics of the RE0 (e.g. lack of bass).

I compared the T3 and T4 above and found the T3 to lack the warmth of the T4, for better or worse, depending on your preferences. I liked the bass boost button on the T4 better than the gain switches on the T3 in amping the RE0, but don't let that stop you.

Otherwise agree with estreeter's comments above, although I'd jump in now and not wait for Skylab's review.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 10
You could do the foam mod to the RE0's if you haven't already. More details, slightly wider soundstage, and slightly more forward mids. Oh yeah, it's free too as long as you have a set of small tweezers. Easily reversible if you end up not liking it. I'd suggest doing this first and trying it out for a week or so and see how you like it. It's your cheapest (and possibly easiest) option and it might actually make the most difference.

As for amps, I only have experience with the biosciencegeek cmoy. For more forward mids, I don't think it would really help. It makes some improvement, but it's only slight and I didn't notice it until just recently. I know you didn't list it in your choices, but just throwing it out there.

The E1 is only for iPods, right? Which iPod are you using? If it's Rockboxable, you should be able to boost the mids slightly without messing everything else up very much (after you install Rockbox, of course).

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 10
For me the T4 was a little too warm, which obscured some detail. The T3 is more neutral, open and dynamic. I will take neutral any day of the week. I don't want to tune my system tuned because of some part that takes away from how the recording actually sounds. Now if you prefer warm for everything that is a personal choice and would take priority since this is about the enjoyment each one of us takes from the listening experience.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 10
i'm using a 5.5g diymod that i just completed soldering last week. i used internal blackgate NX 47uf 6.3V capacitors because i heard they increase bass a bit, bass is a bit improved but mids weren't affected that much. i think i'll give the foam mod a try.

i'm leaning a bit towards the T3 now, but i think i'll wait until the Fiio E7 comes out to see how that compares (and it'll likely be cheaper).

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm using a 5.5g diymod that i just completed soldering last week. i used internal blackgate NX 47uf 6.3V capacitors because i heard they increase bass a bit, bass is a bit improved but mids weren't affected that much. i think i'll give the foam mod a try.

Nice. If you haven't already, give Rockbox a try. Or at least read the online manual to see all the EQ options. I seriously think the foam mod and playing with Rockbox EQ settings will help out the most, especially with bringing the mids more forward. I'm sure an amp will help too, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement you can expect from which price ranges.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 10
If you like the sound of the iMod, but just want a little more bass impact, get the T3. If not, get the D4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back