Amp Needed for KSC75 and HD-555?
Nov 27, 2006 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

uraflit

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I just ordered KSC75's to go along with my HD-555's... I use my computer as a source (Audigy2zs) and was wondering if an Amp would help. I recently tried my HD-555's with an Onkyo A/V Home Theatre receiver and it sounds pretty darn good.

Any cheap suggestions? I see some portable amps for cheap, but they use batteries... I'm not gonna use it on-the-go, so a dedicated power source would help. Corda Aria seems good, but a little expensive... maybe save for later
tongue.gif

HALP!
basshead.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 14
What kind of music do you like to listen to? Since the ksc75s are considered bright and trebely and the 555 kind of warm sounding and laid back, I assume you have kind of similarly diverse listening habits as I do.

I prefer an amp that is either leaning towards neutral, or extends both the highs and lows, not lopsided.

If you want something that satisfies both headphones try looking at Some good portable amps can be used as true desktop transportable amps such as the headroom micros and the obscenely low battery life and high sound quality portaphile v^2 maxxed (discontinued). Theres a new one coming out (shohin)

The headroom micro sells for 299 and you can get it with the desktop module
at no cost.

I listened to a couple of them at a recent meet, and they do very well for low impedence headphones too, with very little floor noise if at all. It does not color the sound much; I personally love the crossfeed option, and with the better electronics in the micro and increased power supply, the crossfeed filter seems to affect the sound less than the mobile line because of its detail.

I think the portaphile in my sig brings out both the detail in both the ultra high trebels and accentuates the clarity in the bass too. I prefer the more refined ksc35 to the 75's but I still like the 75's with this amp. By getting a dc adapter you can just plug it in and forget about the batteries. The

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 14
I have an Aria and it has made a welcomed improvement in my HD595's. I actually enjoy the sound of the KSC75's through my Aria alot as well. My Audigy has been retired as the Aria's DAC is better than what my Audigy 2 can provide. If you have the cash, the Aria is a great all in one solution.

Also, most portable amps can be run through a wall-wart and bypass the batteries while it's plugged in, so they double as a desktop solution as well. I hear good things about the LDM+ paired with the KSC75's, but have not heard anything about the HD555's.

I'll let you know what I think of my LDM+ with my HD595's in the next day or two when it comes in the mail. =]

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 14
thanks. that was a push to the right direction.

i listen to a wide range of music, but not a lot of classical or super hard rock.

i listen to everything in between tho: hiphop/rap/r&b/pop/techno/rock/trance/etc.

would it be worth getting an Amp/DAC combo? and if i do get that, any cheaper options other than the aria? if not its time for me to save!

thanks

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear good things about the LDM+ paired with the KSC75's, but have not heard anything about the HD555's.

x2. The ldm+ does wonders with the ksc75, and since the battery life is otherworldly with the amp, you could use it on its internal li-ion battery even as a desktop amp, and charge it like once a month, and charging only takes a couple of hours. You wont have to worry about power cords and the thing itself is extremely sturdy, small, and inexpensive. Its a nice way to get into amps without spending much and it won't color your sound. Much..

-george

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 14
A very good value for your money dac would be the Entech number crunchers. There are two models, one for around 35-50USD and the other around 100USD. Both have recieved the general approval for value and quality, and could be had easily on ebay. The dac-ah is a nice non oversampling DAC for a bit over 100USD, and can be modified and such, quite easily, if diy is your area.

Is your music in mp3 or some form of lossless?

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I just ordered KSC75's to go along with my HD-555's... I use my computer as a source (Audigy2zs) and was wondering if an Amp would help. I recently tried my HD-555's with an Onkyo A/V Home Theatre receiver and it sounds pretty darn good.

Any cheap suggestions? I see some portable amps for cheap, but they use batteries... I'm not gonna use it on-the-go, so a dedicated power source would help. Corda Aria seems good, but a little expensive... maybe save for later
tongue.gif

HALP!
basshead.gif

Amp not needed with those headphones. They would sound better with an amp but sound just fine without.

Now if your looking to change to sound? you could warm them up with a pure tube amp.

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 14
it's more like x1 since i heard about the ldm+ and ksc75 synergy from you hydrocity, lol. i'll post my input on that when my ldm+ arrives in the next day or so (maybe even today). damn thanksgiving, it screwed up my estimated shipping date...

alot of people recommend the number cruncher 203.2. you should head over the the computer as source section of this forum where they'll recommend you a wide array of dac's in your price range. anotehr could be to DIY? possibly build an alien dac? or even buy one? there's plenty of solutions that can fit anyones budget. it's just how long will you have it before you want to upgrade?

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 14
hmm. LDM+ sounds interesting. ill try and ebay one soon. (im guessing pa2v2 is out of the question)

it says it comes with an AC adapter... so does that mean i can take out the batteries and just use the AC adapter to power them? (stupid question, but i must know!)

thanks for all the help guys. much appreciated.

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 14
the battery of the LDM+ is soldered on to the board if im not mistaken.

just run them off the battery.... theres even been reports of the battery lasting up to 200 hours.

like hYdrociTy said... ull prolly be charging it once a month. plus... running them off the battery will help save on electricity bill too
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 14
whew. didnt even remember about all this "noise" coming from the wall socket. i guess im not an audiophile yet! (good or bad thing? i dunno =P)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back