Amp for W2002s ????
Mar 16, 2005 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
I was lucky enough to acquire a set of ATH W2002s and ws looking to match them with an amplifier.

My friend Hirsch Davis has expressed to me that the Carlo modded Sugden is the best amplifier he has heard to drive the W2002s, though they are a headphone, he admits, for which he does not have a great deal of affection.

Others too (GPalmer for one) have pointed out the synergy with the Sugden (especially Carlo modded) although nobody really rates the Sugden that highly with anything else other than the W2002s.

I am wondering if there are any other superior choices for this seemingly difficult headphone? Has anyone tried these with a Dynahi for instance?

Should anything else be on my short list?

Thanks for you help on this,
Michael

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 43
The Benchmark DAC1 works very well with the W2002's - purks them up nicely.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 43
I like MPX3 with my W1000. Very organic, fast and dynamic sounding combo. Although W1k isn't as sophisticate nor cost as much as W2002, the result should be somewhat similar.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 43
Headroom Max works very well w/ them, though depending on your source and preferences, I wouldn't rule out a tube amp w/ rich mids.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 43
I did enjoy Juan's W2002 with the Singlepower amps at one of the meets. I seem to recall you looking for a solid state amplifier though.

I tried the Sugden on a separate occasion with the Sony CD3000 and Sennheiser HD650. The stock version is a very smooth amp though the bass was a bit loose. If Carlo's mods tighten up the bass I think the Sugden has the possibility of being an excellent amp.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 43
just get the AT-HA2002 amplifier. I figure if the ATH-L3000 and AT-DHA3000 match up very well, then the ATH-W2002 and AT-HA2002 will probably produce similar results. unfortunately I haven't tried the W2002 / HA2002 combo so I cannot say this from experience.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 43
and btw congrats on the can! it's one of the few closed cans to get some kudos here on head-fi. i'd love to hear one someday.

Mar 17, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 43
You might also give the HP-4 a try, properly tube rolled it does a good job with the W2002. I haven't tried the W2002 with the Black Gated Gilmore V2-SE yet, but it does sound really good with the L3000. I'll give the V2-SE -> W2002 combo a listen this evening and let you know (although it's going to have a rough time of it since I've gotten used to the L3000).

Mar 17, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 43
Yeah, I've heard them out of a TrevorNetwork Dynahi with a DAC1 and it sounded amazing so conquently i bought trevor's w2002's off of him and gotta save my pennies up for the dynahi. I'm still an audio-newb and haven't spent enough time with the dynahi to really give a great descriptive review but i've spent more time with the amp and a pair of senn 600's and it totally blows the veil outta those. Music outta a dynahi and w2002 created a very emotional music experience for me when I got a brief chance to listen to it. So two thumbs up for the dynahi from me!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 43
gpalmer - thanks man. I'd particularly like to know how it stacks up against the carlo modded Sugden. I take it you are talking about the EAR yashino? That would be almost impossible to find. Doesn't Singlepower make an amp based on the same tube or am I wrong?

ayt999 the ATH HA-2002 sounds interesting but 1) nobody ha heard one have they? and 2) I think you need a converter for 110 US sockets and that would have to have a negative effect on the sound I woul think.

I always heard the W2002 did not work well with tubes...Somebody said an Earmax Pro...is that right?

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
ayt999 the ATH HA-2002 sounds interesting but 1) nobody ha heard one have they? and 2) I think you need a converter for 110 US sockets and that would have to have a negative effect on the sound I would think.

well, I probably listened to the AT-HA2002 at one point at a store in Japan, but not too sure, and even if I did, forgot how it sounded. I know I saw it before, but maybe that was in a display case thus I couldn't listen to it. one thing that I do know is I never listened to the W2002 on that amp. but being a product released for the W2002 (same model number and same release date) I would assume it would match up very well.

as for the 100V issue... I use a PS Audio P300 set to output 100V for my 100V components.
smily_headphones1.gif
really doubt that has any negative impact on the sound.

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #14 of 43
I tried the W2002 with the DHA3000 right now and it isn't bad, I think it is better than with the gilmore balanced reference. slightly warmer and a fuller sound... more of what I think an audio-technica headphone should sound like. it's been a while since I've used my W2002 though, (mainly because compared to the L3000 they don't sound as good) so I'll try to spend more time with them and elaborate on this.

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #15 of 43
I think the W2002 is a 'solid state' phone.

The problem with the W2002 is the slightly hard midrange. It's also not as big in the lows as some phones as is, although it is faster than some. For me, the ideal response to expect from an amp or source for the W2002 is an extended and very slightly elevated low end, slightly recessed mids, and an extended (but not elevated) treble response. The components of a 'warm' source/amp sound are slightly counterproductive to the W2002 as 'warm' usually means a treble rolloff along with a more prominent midrange.

These days I'm quite happy to listen to it as is from optimum-amping-without-overt-colouration amps such as the (when will it be released?) ANT Emerald... but I'd have to say that in comparison to what's possible with just a bit of tweaking, it sounds a bit boring and hard, so I do sometimes dig out the DEQ2496 with my favourite pro-W2002 preset. I wouldn't recommend anything which chops off the frequency extremes (and I have to say many 'traditional' tube amps fall into this category) as that does the W2002 no favours.

Some tube amps I've tried in meet conditions sounded very good to me but I can't say whether I'd like them or not. I rarely find what I hear at meets, apart from very superficial components, matches my views as an owner / extended trialler. Of the amps I've actually used for any length of time, I'd say neither the CAD300SEI, HP4 nor the RKV (the worst of all) were completely to my taste.

The Max may be worth a try as a straightforward amp as it's very configurable, and maybe you can tweak things at the source for further colouration... although I don't remember this amp creating a huge impact. I'd like to use one for a few weeks but the only one I have relatively easy access to is difficult to prise from the owner's hands, especially as he's already had/got most of what I have... and I've already used up my 'listening trade cards'
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back