Amp for Ultrasone Pro 2900?
Dec 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Arion

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I am going to be purchasing the Ultrasone Pro 2900 soon and was curious as to what would be a good amp for it.
I was looking at the Schiit Asgard as its made for low independent headphones.
My budget is $300. I am not to picky if I have to buy a DAC later when I have the money.
But I just want an amplifier that makes it sound the best it possibly can. 
If anyone could recommend something for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Arion

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 5
I did tons of research on this before purchasing my Burson.
Under $300 your best options(for solid state) are the:

Matrix M-stage
Schitt Asgard
Graham Slee Novo
Used Audio-GD?

What music do you listen to, and what kind of sound are you looking for. They are quite different, do you need to fit a DAC within the budget as well?
If you looking with something with a DAC you might want to look at
Hifiman EF2
Audio GD Sparrow/Fun/Compass/NFB12

I wouldn't recommend something like the Essence STX I used with mine for a few months, too much of a good thing(brightness) and the bass is a little flabby.
And I have to ask, but would you be interested in buying my 2900s? You'd have a bigger amp budget :wink:

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I did tons of research on this before purchasing my Burson.
Under $300 your best options(for solid state) are the:
Matrix M-stage
Schitt Asgard
Graham Slee Novo
Used Audio-GD?
What music do you listen to, and what kind of sound are you looking for. They are quite different, do you need to fit a DAC within the budget as well?
If you looking with something with a DAC you might want to look at
Hifiman EF2
Audio GD Sparrow/Fun/Compass/NFB12
I wouldn't recommend something like the Essence STX I used with mine for a few months, too much of a good thing(brightness) and the bass is a little flabby.
And I have to ask, but would you be interested in buying my 2900s? You'd have a bigger amp budget
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply,
I would prefer to buy them new because I got a Good deal on them that's only $30 more than your asking price.
I listen to Dubstep, Electronic, Hip hop (Rap), and Alternative music. So It needs to be fast and not cause fast beats to be muddy or not as clear as they should be.
I am looking for a warmer sound with a good sound stage, That really just makes the headphones the best they can be with deep, tight, and punchy base if it can as long as it doesnt drown out any other sounds.
I would prefer to get two seperate devices as with combos I dont want to get a poor DAC with a Good Amp, or vice versa I would prefer to know I have a Great Amp with a Great DAC.
Thanks,
Arion

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 5
I've heard positive things about the Mstage in particular with the electronica/rap.
One thing though, you say you want a warm sound with a good sound stage, thats not quite what the 2900s do. They are bright and have a smaller, more involving soundstage. The bass is more there for the impact than the texture/extension. With soundstage its a tradeoff between a big, laid back soundstage and a smaller more impactful one usually. The bass might be what your looking for, but I would suggest you also look into the Sony XB1000, I've heard that the XBs are better dubstep cans while the Sones are better for trance. The XBs may also have more of that warm sound you seem to want. Dubstep and rap don't need super-fast cans honestly.

The whole reason I'm selling mine is because of their bright treble/recessed midrange. I'm finding myself craving better vocals, they get a little bit burried(but never lost) under the bass and treble and the treble is merciless on poor recordings(though I've yet to hear it sound bad for anything electronic).

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I've heard positive things about the Mstage in particular with the electronica/rap.
One thing though, you say you want a warm sound with a good sound stage, thats not quite what the 2900s do. They are bright and have a smaller, more involving soundstage. The bass is more there for the impact than the texture/extension. With soundstage its a tradeoff between a big, laid back soundstage and a smaller more impactful one usually. The bass might be what your looking for, but I would suggest you also look into the Sony XB1000, I've heard that the XBs are better dubstep cans while the Sones are better for trance. The XBs may also have more of that warm sound you seem to want. Dubstep and rap don't need super-fast cans honestly.

The whole reason I'm selling mine is because of their bright treble/recessed midrange. I'm finding myself craving better vocals, they get a little bit burried(but never lost) under the bass and treble and the treble is merciless on poor recordings(though I've yet to hear it sound bad for anything electronic).

I am sorry but that was poorly written by me about what I wanted. I looked into the Ultrasones and they are for sure what I want. When I described those things I was thinking about the amp's sound and the minor improvements or major improvements to the sound. I meant I want the amp to give it a warmer sound but improve the bass and soundstage a bit or best it can 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back