Amp for TMA-1--Newbie here!
Nov 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

givonion

New Head-Fier

After much deliberation, got the TMA-1 fool's gold edition.  I'm kind of new to the audiophile scene (and I'm far from one in terms of knowledge), but my previous cans were the Alessandro M1i's.

To be honest, I am slightly disappointed with the yellow color, as it looks cheap and toy-ish--especially the cord.  However it comes with a short black cord with a remote/mic so it isn't too bad with that.

However, the sound is quite satisfying!  I listen to mostly hip hop and a little bit of house, and I must say that I was slightly underwhelmed when I first listened to these cans.  However a little bit of EQ-ing (raising the higher ends) did wonders and I just can't seem to take these off ^^.

Unfortunately I'm using an ipod nano (2nd gen), and have no way of EQ-ing this baby (the stock EQ settings are way out of wack for my taste).  SO I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a portable amp would do the trick.  I'm mainly looking at the CMOYBB and PA2V.  I've never used an amp/dac(?) before, and don't really understand what they do but it seems like it would be a lot of fun.

As for my EQ preferences, it goes a little something like this in iTunes:

^by no means is this final, but after some tweaking around i've settled for this

All suggestions appreciated!

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 4
I have a mini3 assembled by Rockhopper. Nothing against the quality of the sound or construction, but I am really annoyed by the short runtime between charging.

My favorite in production amp is the XM4 with the 8620 opamp, with the lithium battery charge kit. However, I notice that your EQ settings are pushing the highs, so I suspect the stock 3123 opamp (sorta flat output with no major emphasis on bass) or even the 8066 opamp (detailed but bass light) might match the set-up you are using better than the 8620 (a bit of bass boost).

I've read the XM5 and XM6 sound even better, so if a DAC is desired give them consideration.

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks!  I ended up ordering a cMoy from JDSLabs fitted with a AD8620ARZ as I heard it was actually quite analytical and natural sounding.  I'll let you know my impressions--it can't get here soon enough >.<

Quote:
I have a mini3 assembled by Rockhopper. Nothing against the quality of the sound or construction, but I am really annoyed by the short runtime between charging.

My favorite in production amp is the XM4 with the 8620 opamp, with the lithium battery charge kit. However, I notice that your EQ settings are pushing the highs, so I suspect the stock 3123 opamp (sorta flat output with no major emphasis on bass) or even the 8066 opamp (detailed but bass light) might match the set-up you are using better than the 8620 (a bit of bass boost).

I've read the XM5 and XM6 sound even better, so if a DAC is desired give them consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back