Amp for the Senn HD650-800$
Aug 1, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by demi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, ty for your comments.
My source is Asus Xonar D2X.
I love the sound to be more like "heavy" with a good deep bass, I don't mind an amp that goes really high on the strength, but I want it to be clear and heavy
Just like the music I hear[Metal, Rock, Elctro and some Classic music]
Wink
also
I don't need any kind of gizmo, just an input from my pc and output to the headphones, and a nice volume control.
don't mind the look or what ever
And it should have a good ac power
thank you

This is just my opinion and I am speaking from own experience. When you reach this level, you really want a dedicated source to go with the rest of your equipment. having "fancy smancy" sound card will just not cut it on its own. I would be looking into spending half of that money on a DAC and the other half on a amp... You can get really good amps for under $400. It's going to sound allot better than getting just a good amp for $800.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by zool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, man your really trying to sell the Dark Voice aren't you? What happened to taste and difference of opinion?

They're fine... "you're entitled to your own opinion... just not your own facts."

If you prefer a different sound with your Senns... dont' get either of these two great amps... but... don't blame me, if you don't think your Senns... "jes don't sound quite right."

And... it depends on what aspect of your sound you like to emphasize. If you want greater detail and clarity, and a bit of an analytical sound, you might like the GS-1 better - especially with the "old" versions of the Senns, which were darker, and "veiled." But, not if you want big, bold, rich sound, which is also pretty detailed and clear - especially with the "new" versions of the Senns.

And... yes... I'm convinced the DV332 and DV337 are the best bargains you can find, relative to the quality of the sound they produce with Senns - just want people to realize that, when they're getting ready to "invest their valuable pocket change."

As I said... the Solo is also great with Senns - possibly as great as the DV332 is with them... "possibly." But... its just "way overpriced," and doesn't sound as good with low impedance phones, as the DV332 does.

You must consider the SQ of the DV332 and DV337 in the context of their "bargain prices." Simply much better sound with Senns, than most other amps in their price range. That is less true with low impedance phones... though, its still good with them also.

By the way... in this price range, I would suggest the X-CANv8 is better than the DV332, with Denons, or Grados, or ATHs. But... with Senns... not even close.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're fine... "you're entitled to your own opinion... just not your own facts."

If you prefer a different sound with your Senns... dont' get either of these two great amps... but... don't blame me, if you don't think your Senns... "jes don't sound quite right."

And... it depends on what aspect of your sound you like to emphasize. If you want greater detail and clarity, and a bit of an analytical sound, you might like the GS-1 better. But, not if you want big, bold, rich sound, which is also pretty detailed and clear - with Senns.

And... yes... I'm convinced the DV332 and DV337 are the best bargains you can find, relative to the quality of the sound they produce with Senns - just want people to realize that, when they're getting ready to "invest their valuable pocket change."

As I said... the Solo is also great with Senns - possibly as great as the DV332 is with them... "possibly." But... its just "way overpriced," and doesn't sound as good with low impedance phones, as the DV332 does.

You must consider the SQ of the DV332 and DV337 in the context of their "bargain prices." Simply much better sound with Senns, than most other amps in their price range. That is less true with low impedance phones... though, its still good with them also.

By the way... in this price range, I would suggest the X-CANv8 is better than the DV332, with Denons, or Grados, or ATHs. But... with Senns... not even close.

Every thing is relative, I'm not trying to argue with you here. What you think might be the best amp within $800-range might be a amp with flaws to someone else ears. I mean it's all about ones opinion, you simply can't say that it is a fact. And there is allot of amps within that range to be heard too. I'm sure you haven't heard all of them.

I don't doubt that DV332 is a really fine amp for HD650.. I'm sure it's really good, I was actually considering getting one my self. And If I did and really really liked it, I would never state it as a fact that it was the best to be had for the HD650's sub $800.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

I'm convinced the DV332 and DV337 are the best bargains you can find

Yeah, we noticed
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please get either the woo 3+ or the woo 6. both US made and supported

with the right tubes , both give you 3d imaging that you would not believe

since you are only using one phone get the 3+. if you want the flexibility of driving high and low z cans, then the woo6

Also great amps... with Senns. They would be my next choice.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #22 of 38
Sarcasm: I like how almost everyone who's replied has pushed one (or two or more) products or another with absolutely no consideration for the OP's needs. That's one of the biggest current problems with Head-Fi - overzealous or overenthusiastic fanboys pushing products with no qualifying statements on newbies who take the advice at face value and run with it. Are you all shills? Because most of you really look like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, ty for your comments.
My source is Asus Xonar D2X.
I love the sound to be more like "heavy" with a good deep bass, I don't mind an amp that goes really high on the strength, but I want it to be clear and heavy
Just like the music I hear[Metal, Rock, Elctro and some Classic music]
Wink
also
I don't need any kind of gizmo, just an input from my pc and output to the headphones, and a nice volume control.
don't mind the look or what ever
And it should have a good ac power
thank you

Well I don't have any specific recommendations for you since I have no experience with AC-powered DACs, I guess you may want to read around the forum.

The Xonar D2X is unusually audiophile-grade for a sound card though so you may want to ignore an external DAC and use your sound card as the DAC, and get only an external amp. There's a good deal on a DIY PPA for $300 right now in the FS forums: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...op-amp-348415/. I don't know how the PPA pairs with the HD650, but the seller owns an HD650 so you can ask him.
wink.gif
I'm not familiar with the PPA myself but a reliable source tells me it's a pretty decent amp.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sarcasm: I like how almost everyone who's replied has pushed one (or two or more) products or another with absolutely no consideration for the OP's needs.

Well I don't have any specific recommendations for you since I have no experience with AC-powered DACs, I guess you may want to read around the forum.

You are so right...

Though that doesn't change my recommendations in a more general context, or the context of my responses to the posts to which I did respond.

But... to the OP... your response is likely the most appropriate.

Though... some of the portable DAC/Amps might be passable - like the 2Move - a superb portable amp, and a passable DAC, which might be OK with the "new" version of the HD650s (definitely not with the "old" version), it was OK with my "new" version modded HD580/600s... though... they are much better with my DV332.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #24 of 38
ive heard the singlepower hd600 & hd650 combo and it sounds great...in fact there is a deal on a ppx3 if i'm not mistaken on one of the boards right now

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

like how almost everyone who's replied has pushed one (or two or more) products or another with absolutely no consideration for the OP's needs.

Quote:

The Xonar D2X is unusually audiophile-grade for a sound card though so you may want to ignore an external DAC and use your sound card as the DAC, and get only an external amp. There's a good deal on a DIY PPA for $300 right now in the FS forums: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...op-amp-348415/.

You read my mind on both subjects. I was even going to post that link too, but with all the product pushing decided against it.
That amp really is a fantastic value. I've built several PPAs and I can tell you they sound wonderful. They get a lot of respect among DIYers (who generally avoid these amp forums as they are overrun with Little Dot, Woo Audio and Dark Voice fanaticism).

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some of the portable DAC/Amps might be passable - like the 2Move - a superb amp, and a passable DAC

Imo calling a 2move a superb amp is very misleading, in fact calling any portable amp a superb amp is misleading (well I haven't heard the bigger "portable" amps like the Lisa III and what not, but they are hardly portable
tongue.gif
).

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo calling a 2move a superb amp is very misleading, in fact calling any portable amp a superb amp is misleading (well I haven't heard the bigger "portable" amps like the Lisa III and what not, but they are hardly portable
tongue.gif
).

It is superb for a portable amp... as I said (perhaps elsewhere) the DV332 is much better, as many home amps are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back