Amp for the Senn HD650-800$
Aug 2, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #31 of 38
Sorry mate, looks like I read your post wrong
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #33 of 38
While I advocate an ultimate fidelity approach to component selection, the truth is we all have tastes in terms of what tonal balance and what attributes we search for.

I use a Woo Audio WA6 (not the + version) which I believe is in budget.

After rolling the rectifier tube (using a 5V6), I find it close to my SCD-XA777ES headphone out, except with better dimensionality, seductive rather than analytical nature, a bit fuller midrange, more graceful highs (without that extra-sharp upper treble), and a tad less definition of lower bass. Great illusion of realism.

If I were the type to seek the hyper-reality of a Headroom amp, I'd tilt toward solid state. But I can listen much longer with this amp and still take delight in the music. Not a detail freak, but I do appreciate the musical information that good detail retreival achieves, good spatial illusion also.

I run the amp on the low gain setting and it seem a bit lower distortion than on the high gain (high impedance) setting. Plenty of volume range.

I haven't heard Darkvoice or others mentioned.

I use a Cardas cable and removed the foam from the phones.

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #36 of 38
I'm thrilled with my $600 Woo amp. At the last meet I only heard one amp that I liked better and it was balanced, solid state, and would require some mad jack. At 6 bills the Woo would leave you half way to a good set of cables for those 650's.

Anyway its time to decide and let us know how it went.

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #37 of 38
8 months with the Woo WA6 - Hd650 combo, and still extremely happy with the SQ. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back