Amp for the ms-1, eventually to higher grados
Jul 22, 2005 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

skitlets

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I've got a budget large enough now to finally acquire a legitimate RA-1. Currently, I've an MS-1 and will be amping that headphone. In the future, I will pick up the rs-1, with perhaps the ms-2i as a stepping stone. I need an amp that will more than adequately drive lower end Grados and the consumer peak - the rs-1. I'm quite satisfied with the RA-1 clone. I find the sound more natural and less edgy with the amp, with the trebles smoothed off - sometimes a little too much, but I can't be certain such will be with the real deal.

Also, I was told the amp was built with the same gain as the real ra-1. However, it is far too loud to be driven by a line level output. My new xcd-88 is unlistenable because of this. Can anyone chime in as to whether or not the gain on a legitimate ra-1 is a problem for them as well? BTW, I listen at very low volumes, so keep that in mind.

So, any comments on amps that will sufficiently drive the full range of Grados is much appreciated. and let's keep the budget around the same price as that of an RA-1 - about $350, give or take. As always, lower is better. No tubes!

Oh! forgot about my listening preferences - I mostly listen to hard rock, hardcore, some metal, but I don't want a fatiguing sound. Dynamic is good, strident highs are bad.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 15
People are going to come flocking here recommending the Gilmore Lite. So I'm going to go ahead and make that suggestion!

Gilmore designs seem to be voiced for Grados, and they output plenty of current to drive the current-hungry Grados.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 15
Hi skitlets,

That's weird, when I used to have Grado RA-1, I tried it with SR-60 and RS-1 and they both sound fine out of the analog out of the universal DVD player I had at that time.

Despite ended up selling my RS-1/RA-1 combo, till this day I still miss it's magical synergy, the fast, clean and detailed sound...

Overlunge

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 15
I've read numerous reports on how the Gilmore Lite fares well with lower end Grados, but does it do the RS-1 justice? or would the RA-1 be a better choice for that? I'm still leaning towards just getting the RA-1, and I probably will since the gain seems to be only problem with my clone.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 15
I use the RA-1 with the line-level output of various PCDPs, iPods, and Minidisc units..........................and I've never had a problem with the gain, using Grado 'phones. There are some 'phones (Sony, UE), however, that elicit a hiss, even with the volume control all the way down. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 15
During the time I owned RA-1, I've never had a problem with its gain while using it with various home and portable sources (with SR-80's and Alessandro MSP's) - and looking back at the recent Boston/New England meet, I probably listen at lower volume than most people.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 15
I use a Blueberry Audio Emotion+, which is obviously designed to be a better RA1. It's been a GREAT match for my RS1, and works well with the darth beyers as well. They sell for $369, made by USER NAME: on here.

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
So, any comments on amps that will sufficiently drive the full range of Grados is much appreciated. and let's keep the budget around the same price as that of an RA-1 - about $350, give or take. As always, lower is better. No tubes!

Oh! forgot about my listening preferences - I mostly listen to hard rock, hardcore, some metal, but I don't want a fatiguing sound. Dynamic is good, strident highs are bad.

Very basically speaking, the sonic signature of amps usually falls into one of two major categories: "tube sound" and "transistor sound" (regardless of whether an amp actually utilizes tubes or transistors).

Most simple op-amp based amplifiers have "transistor sound". The RA-1, CMoy and their clones always sound similar - sometimes better, sometimes worse than the originals but in general one might expect "clinically clear", detailed, "cold" or "sharp" (sometimes even a bit harsh sound or maybe "sibilant" is a better word here). There are people that love this kind of sound.

Tube based amplifiers and transistor/op-amp based amplifiers with devices working in class A have totaly different sound - "tube sound". It's usually effortless, detailed, smooth, "liquid" and sometimes a bit "warm" sound. Some people prefer this kind of sound.

I personally prefer "tube sound". I'm using transitor based amplifier working in class A that has such sonic signature. I find it absolutely unfatiguing. I tried my RS1 with RA-1 clone but I find that the class A amp I'm using right sounds way better - to me.

Anyways, the type of sound one enjoys the most is a matter of personal preference. You have already "sampled" "transitor sound", why not to try a "tube sound"? At least you would know what direction to pursue when looking for the amplifier.

My $0.02...

Jul 22, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Perhaps do a search for the Blueberry amp and take a look on 6moons for the review - it really does work wonders with the grados (fantastic with both the SR60 and SR 225) and the 6moons reviewer liked it with Senns - between those two it should be able to handle almost anything that you throw at it.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 15
I'll look into the Blueberry amp. Still, the RA-1 is tried and true with matching Grados, and I'd feel more comfortable going with that. But, if the Gilmore Lite matches well with the RS-1...I might decide on that because of the AC power. I don't mind having to recharge batteries, but AC would be more convenient.

Jul 23, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
I'll look into the Blueberry amp. Still, the RA-1 is tried and true with matching Grados, and I'd feel more comfortable going with that. But, if the Gilmore Lite matches well with the RS-1...I might decide on that because of the AC power. I don't mind having to recharge batteries, but AC would be more convenient.

I am pretty sure the RA-1 comes in a version you can plug into the wall.

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroJunkie
I am pretty sure the RA-1 comes in a version you can plug into the wall.

Yeah, the problem being it's about $100 more than the battery version. Also, the AC psu is reportedly a little worse than battery power. I'd get the AC version if I could find one used for a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back