Amp For Shure SRH840?
Dec 29, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It takes about a week to burn in (around 200 hours).

A month maybe? There are only 168 hours in a week...
ph34r.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #17 of 24
I just bought this can from another member (thanks triple-u!) and I can definitely say that these headphones have ample bass. This is just coming out from the headphone jack of my iPod nano (256 AAC files). Great clarity, smooth sounding, no amping, and $150 price tag...great value!

I do find it narrow on the soundstage, but that's where I feel an amp will help. I did find the Hornet to refine the bass and create a larger soundstage with my other headphones. I've yet to attach the full setup with these headphones, but so far, unamped, I'm impressed.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankTheRabbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought this can from another member (thanks triple-u!) and I can definitely say that these headphones have ample bass. This is just coming out from the headphone jack of my iPod nano (256 AAC files). Great clarity, smooth sounding, no amping, and $150 price tag...great value!

I do find it narrow on the soundstage, but that's where I feel an amp will help. I did find the Hornet to refine the bass and create a larger soundstage with my other headphones. I've yet to attach the full setup with these headphones, but so far, unamped, I'm impressed.

how is the instrument separation ?

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #19 of 24
Is a portable amp like a Tomahawk enough to drive the SRH840 to it's full potential?

How sensitive are they compared to lets say the grado headphones. The listed sensitivity seems higher but I'm hoping they aren't as sensitive as grados. I want to do low level listening staying out of the beginning mis-matched zone of my headphone amp.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 24
richbass->Instrument separation, I feel, are great (unamped). Connected to my hornet and there's a slight improvement. That's why I think that they were so easy to drive, because the Hornet didn't make THAT much of an improvement. Yes, the bass is a bit tighter, but it wasn't as big of a change when I connected my SE530 (bewteen amped & unamped).

I've been using them at work for a past few weeks and I am very happy with them, considering their price range.

There's only one thing I feel that will make or break the deal and that's the coiled cable. You either don't mind it or hate it. It does get in the way for me, but I just deal with it.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 24
If your 840s are newer the bass is a little funky, but after I burned mine in, the bass became much better (it didn't take too long though, like 10 hours?)  I have a little dot I+ hybrid with mullards in it and these things sound fantastic.  My shure's did not like my zero dac/amp, i could only crank it to about the 1/4 position before they felt like they were being blown out and the sound wasn't very good.  Look into amps that work well with lower resistance (ohms) headphones.  It was explained in a forum elsewhere on head-fi that the little dot I+ was for lower impedance headphones, and that other amps up the line are designed to drive headphones with higher impedances.  Though I dont have a LOT of experience with amps personally I would recommend one that plays nicely with lower impedance cans or get one with a gain switch (as I understand that this helps adjust the amp for different impedances - someone correct me if I'm wrong about this).

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #23 of 24
These phones sound quite good for the price.  They are driven surprisingly easily unamped, and only sound marginally better with an amp.

I have been driving them with my ibasso d4 through my pc and can barely tolerate anything else now.  When I run it through my rockboxed clip, can't seem to get a pure sound in comparison to the D4 DAC.

I plan on getting an S:flo2 hoping that the line out is uncontaminated enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back