Amp for Sennheiser HD650 (<$300)
Apr 9, 2007 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BrianN

New Head-Fier
I need a good inexpensive amp form my Sennheiser HD650 headphones, preferably under $300 (I'm a poor grad. student). Please include sites to buy from, sometimes these high audio companies don't sell online. Also, does it really make that much of a difference; I'm listening from a good Sony player (RM-SCEX100), and the sound is very good...

I found one at $400, the Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 (http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...u=AMUFIXCANV3). I guess I can squeeze that out for the money. If I were to go with this or another recommendation, are there any other components/cables I need to buy? I don't know much about preamps and power sources and all.

Thanks,

Brian

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 15
M^3!!!
PPA v2!!!

Cavalli Kumisa III!!!

biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 15
Apr 9, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Original Master is highly regarded with sennies

http://www.aaa-audio.com/index-products-original.htm

the MF Xcan that you mention in your original post is also very highly regarded, but is stretching the budget (i think the Master is in the 200 range)

Yes, I agree that the original master goes very well with the hd650's. I like how it brings control to the 650's base, which at times, I find kind of boomy. Hugz, I also agree whole-heartedly that Hyroi Lee is ridiculously hot!

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 15
I second the Gilmore Lite available @ www.headamp.com. Its a great amp and fits in your budget. Also you can the FS forums here as they pop up occasionally.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck with your pick!

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 15
I third the Gilmore Lite. Amazing amp.

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodydoorknob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hugz, I also agree whole-heartedly that Hyroi Lee is ridiculously hot!

Now that's something we can all agree on.

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 15
Presonus Central Station is a wonderful solution. You will have a dac + 2 headamps+ preamp section (in case you ever need it). I don't know exact price now but in the past I remember they could be found somewhere in your budget top range.Good luck.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I third the Gilmore Lite. Amazing amp.

I like the way Glite seems to work well with both Senns and Grados. You may want to get complementary cans in the future.

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 15
Creek OBH-21 (w/ regulated 24V PSU).

This is one seriously under-rated amp (and further more so by this forum's tendency to bash Creek based on a completely different, older model). Its control/grip is absolutely iron-like with a very tight bass response that matches really well with the HD-650. It also works superb with Grados. The provision of 2 headphone jacks is a boon too!

Cheers!

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #14 of 15
At the moment I'm using an iBasso T1 which works amazingly well with the HD650. I would like to have a Cayin tube amp though but spent too much this month already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back