Amp for RS-1 and K701
Jun 18, 2007 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

freakmax

500+ Head-Fier
rs1smile.gif

Please reccommend me the best amp for RS-1's and K701's.
My budget is under $1000.
I currently have the Heed Canamp but I wanna upgrade now.
tongue.gif

Would the Mapletree Ear + would be the best choice?

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 15
Of the amps I have owned (see profile), my custom MAD Ear+ Purist HD synergizes best with the RS-1s. IMHO, the RS-1s need to be heard with tube amplification to hear them at their absolute best. After buying the MAD Ear+ and hearing what it does with my RS-1s, I feel that my search for the perfect RS-1 (or Grado in general) amplifier is over. The RS-1 / MAD Ear+ combo does not leave me wanting for more, that's for certain.

As for the K701s, I owned them for a while and they weren't my cup of tea. I can't comment on how they pair with a MAD Ear+ though, because I sold the K701s long before I purchased the MAD Ear+. All reports I have read here at Head-Fi say that the Canamp / K701 combo has great synergy (I haven't heard the combo, so I can't comment). So the question becomes, what is about about the Canamp / K701 combo that leaves you wanting for more?

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 15
The Canamp / K701 combo is great.Actually I'm satisfied with the combo but I'm busted now.
I don't have enough money to buy the Mapletree for my RS-1's so I'm thinking of selling my Canamp.
You know I'm so in love with my RS-1's.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 15
I liked the RS-1 with the RA-1 which is definitely too expensive for being only a CMOY, but it has a very good synergy with the cans. This Amp doesn't work with the 701.

Both 701 and RS-1 were very good with my Pimeta with AD8620.

The 701 works brilliant with the RSA Hornet!

What definitely doesn't work with both cans are the Creek OBH-11SE, OBH-21SE and the Meier-Audio Porta Corda MkIII.

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Why wouldnt the Meier-Audio Porta Corda MkIII work with those headphones? Does it make it too dark or shrill? I was thinking about buying that amp or maybe a Move.

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 15
mapletree HD is a must for RS-1! Every grado fans love it! However, k701doesn't seem to like tubed sound. HP100 can partially drive k701 at reasonable level. If you really want good ones in 1000USD, it would be something like Meier Opera, RSA HR-2 or Xin Reference

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 15
I disagree with Windows X when he say the K701 doesn't like tubes. I think it shines when amped by my MAD Ear+ Purist HD2. It's a superb combination. Do i need to say something about the RS-1 + HD2?
I high recommend the MAD amps for drive the RS-1 and the K701 ...

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why wouldnt the Meier-Audio Porta Corda MkIII work with those headphones? Does it make it too dark or shrill? I was thinking about buying that amp or maybe a Move.

icon10.gif
My Meier-Audio "Move" arrived exactly one hour ago
icon10.gif

To my ears the Porta Corda sounded too shrill combined with the RS-1. The used opamps were the LM6171. The Move has two AD8620 and it sounds perfect to me. It's airy precise and has a big impact. This only for the first hour of impressions. Although the amp is not burnt in and connected via USB to my computer. I currently listen with my HD650/Cardas to it and I like it very much!

I would go for the Move if I were you. In fact it's a matter of taste.

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 15
Hi

While i love the RS-1 with the mapletree... i don't think that those amps have enough power to really make the K701 sound good.

based on the circuitry, i looked seriously at the Lehmann black cube linear, GS-1 and the Singlepower squarewave. However, I've only heard both on a dynahi.... and i think the RS-1 doesn't sound all that good on the dynahi.

I've heard both on the PPX slam and can say that it sounds very good on both... and that would be my personal choice at the end of the day.

you'd be crazy not to buy this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245624

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 15
3 or 4 people have already reassured you that the MAD EAR + route is the way to go, but another opinion is always welcome I'm sure.
biggrin.gif
Seriously, the RS-1's in my opinion absolutely need tube amplification, and short of the Melos SHA-Gold, I don't think you'll find a better in production tube amp than the EAR+

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While i love the RS-1 with the mapletree... i don't think that those amps have enough power to really make the K701 sound good.

Highly disagree.
The HD2 drives the K701 very well. I'm currently using it and the HD2 volume knob is in 10 o'clock. I can't pass 12 without making my ears hurt. I'm using the K701 in the high impedance headphone output though ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back