Amp for my HD600 up to 200$
Aug 7, 2008 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Stanley

New Head-Fier
Hello,

need an advise... I'm looking for some good amp for my new HD600. Actually I use them with my Headroom Total Bithead DAC/amp. My price range is up to 200 bucks without shipping...

I'm newbie, I don't have any experiences with any good amps, I don't know what could I expect. My priority is to improve a soundstage. Next things are better bass control and maybe improve clarity in highs.

So my idea is to buy Little Dot MK III amp and use it with the Bithead as a DAC. What do you think...Is it good solution in my situation? Or should I focus on some better DAC first (for example E-MU 0404 USB)? Are there any other options which should I take into consideration?

If you have any other ideas please post them. Thanks :wink:

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 15
I'm currently using a LD MKII with an 0404 with my HD580s (more or less identical to the HD600s, functionally) and am very pleased with the result for the price. It could certainly be better, but for the price, it's hard to beat. Brings the phones to life and tightens up the bass quite nicely, while improving treble sparkle.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 15
So, do you think that using the Bithead as a DAC isn't good idea? I think that with "LD MKIII amp + Bithead DAC" I'll get better overall sound than if I sell the Bithead and buy some better DAC first - for example 0404 USB.

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 15
Stanley - Why do you need to use the Bithead as a DAC? Are you using a computer as your source?

Tim

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I'm newbie, I don't have any experiences with any good amps, I don't know what could I expect. My priority is to improve a soundstage. Next things are better bass control and maybe improve clarity in highs.

Solid state amps are usually better at bass control then tube amps. Are you sure you want a tube amp?
If you do go solid state, for around $200 I would look for an M^3.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

So, do you think that using the Bithead as a DAC isn't good idea? I think that with "LD MKIII amp + Bithead DAC" I'll get better overall sound than if I sell the Bithead and buy some better DAC first - for example 0404 USB.

Stanley,

How are going to go about using the Bithead just as a DAC? Run an 1/8th" to RCA adapter from the phone jack? Use the low impedance setting? Volume control up, or down? (The crosstalk switch might be useful once in a while. :wink:

I guess I just figured that the TB's amping circuits might color or "dirty up" the signal going to the new HA.

Just curious, though, 'cause I have a Total Bithead & am considering something like the LD III or IV myself. Figured I'd keep the TB for the road & just bite the bullet & get a better DAC for home, too. If the TB worked OK feeding a better amp that'd be nice. I wouldn't have to rush out & get a better DAC right away.

FW

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwphoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stanley,

How are going to go about using the Bithead just as a DAC? Run an 1/8th" to RCA adapter from the phone jack? Use the low impedance setting? Volume control up, or down? (The crosstalk switch might be useful once in a while. :wink:

I guess I just figured that the TB's amping circuits might color or "dirty up" the signal going to the new HA.

Just curious, though, 'cause I have a Total Bithead & am considering something like the LD III or IV myself. Figured I'd keep the TB for the road & just bite the bullet & get a better DAC for home, too. If the TB worked OK feeding a better amp that'd be nice. I wouldn't have to rush out & get a better DAC right away.

FW

Hi FW,

as you said - I plan to use an 1/8th" to RCA adapter from the phone jack.. Do you think there might be problem with that?

What did you mean with "low impedance" setting, "low gain" setting? I have older version of Bithead without the gain switch...but I think it's not important, or is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nd4speed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solid state amps are usually better at bass control then tube amps. Are you sure you want a tube amp?
If you do go solid state, for around $200 I would look for an M^3.

Hello nd4speed,

I'm not sure what will be better for me - if SS or tube amp. I read some posts about that topic..and I will probably try tubes first. I'm also looking for huge soundstage and LD MKIII is great in that way.

What the "M^3" mean? I can't find it anywhere... :) Can you give me some link please? I will look at that amp closer... thank you for your recommendation.

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know the Bithead had line output, I thought it's only headphone-out.

M^3 is great, but not easy to get for $200. If you can though, definitely grab one. I would still recommend a DAC, but it'll be really pushing it with your budget.

Come to think of it your right Fallen Angel...my mistake. With Stanley talking about pairing this with an amp I thought this had a real line out.

Stanley, although there is a hi/low gain setting on the bithead I wouldn't assume that it will be suitable for driving X amp. I would ask the mfg whether the impedences are within range before diving in. Generally speaking though, it's not a good idea to run from HP out to an amp.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 15
If you can stretch your budget just a little bit, you can get a Travagans White with USB DAC and analog input for $290 shipped, and it sounds good with my HD600, D2000, Edition 9 (and RS-1 once it has 250 hours of burn-in). And, you can upgrade the opamps for even better sound, like a soldered together OPA627 2:1 adapter for $30 on ebay. See the "about me" tab in my Public Profile for a link to my review.

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nd4speed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come to think of it your right Fallen Angel...my mistake. With Stanley talking about pairing this with an amp I thought this had a real line out.

Stanley, although there is a hi/low gain setting on the bithead I wouldn't assume that it will be suitable for driving X amp. I would ask the mfg whether the impedences are within range before diving in. Generally speaking though, it's not a good idea to run from HP out to an amp.

Thanks for your replies, this is exactly that what I needed to know. So DAC must go first.. :)

I'm just thinking about E-MU 0202 USB or 0404 USB... 0202 is cheaper, more portable (smaller, doesn't need a dedicated power supply) which is important to me and I don't need any features for a recording. Anyway 0404 has better rated DAC and built in amp. You, Fallen Angel, has experiences with both, right? What would you recommend me for the money? I would rather go to the 0202 and save money for an amp.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Hi FW,
as you said - I plan to use an 1/8th" to RCA adapter from the phone jack.. Do you think there might be problem with that?

What did you mean with "low impedance" setting, "low gain" setting? I have older version of Bithead without the gain switch...but I think it's not important, or is it?

Yes, I was saying low impedance but I meant low gain (used generally for the lower impedance HPs I think).

From the rest of the posts it seems like using the TB as a stand alone DAC isn't such a good idea. Oh well. It's great, IMO, as an entry level DAC/AMP combo, though.

Take care,

FW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back