Amp for Macbook Pro retina
Oct 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

yliu

500+ Head-Fier
What amp would you recommend for the retina MBP for less than 250USD? I read that macbookpros have pretty good DACs so I only really need an amp. Is it true?

I am mainly planning to use it with my B&W P7 which I read that benefits from amping.

Thanks.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 12
What amp would you recommend for the retina MBP for less than 250USD? I read that Macbook Pros have pretty good DACs so I only really need an amp. Is it true?
I am mainly planning to use it with my B&W P7 which I read that benefits from amping.

My $27 FiiO E6 headphone amplifier could easily drive the 22-Ohm B&W P7s.

For use with the 22-Ohm B&W P7 headphones and your MacBook Pro.
FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp, $75.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 12
  Would there be a noticeable improvement in sound quality with the Fiio E10K or would it simply get louder?

Getting headphones loud is easy, getting good sound quality is a little more work.

The E10K should come with a better DAC chip then the Macbook and the E10K's headphone amplifier should better then the Macbook's
How much if any, will there be a noticeable improvement? not sure.
You just never for sure know until you try the headphone-DAC-amp combo.

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 12
Bypass the internal DAC if you want the best sound , look at FIIO E17 or Audioengine D1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 12
I my self could compared sound quality from mid-2014 MacBookPro11,3 with the high-quality RWAK100 for weeks, using a pair of $400 HD600 (very well-known nicely balanced hp), multiple types of music (classical, jazz, country, rock, pop)

I found almost no different in sound quality with pop, rock or country. Only when listening to some very distinctive records, I counld hear small diffences.

My conclusions:
Sound details: Equal. I didn't miss any small details with my MBP.
Sound feelings: Mostly equal. AK100 had a very small amount of better sound stage in some multi-instrument records (~5%). AK100 sometimes felt a little sweeter to my ears :)

In my opinion, recent MBP built-in DAC are at high quality, you cannot win it with less than $500 external DAC, AMP. I'm happy with direct sound from MBP for everyday office listening.

Very interesting comparision. If you have a chance, don't miss it :wink:

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 12
I'm using my Macbook (unibody) 2008 with my P7's via the Fiio E17 dac/ampflifier (usb).
I do hear a difference with or without the Fiio. Although it's not at all the upgrade you get when using the Fiio as a mobile device with the iphone (4) (the purpose i bought it).
I'm now looking to upgrade my laptop system and planning on a Schiit Magni/Modi 2 uber setup.
What i get from the Fiio with the P7  on my MB -> Everything sounds tighter (++), better soundstage (+), more black background (++) an more detailed (++) (the usual suspects).
It's not always noticeable but even if there's no direct audible difference the Fiio makes it somewhat less tiring to listen to. That's why i use them permanently.
You can find them second hand for 100€/$ and they are a great travel companion (like the P7).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back