Amp for K340/RS-2
Nov 2, 2006 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

braker218

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I'm pretty sure I am going to give the K340 another shot, and this time I plan on driving them better than I was before. Currently I have a millet hybrid, which I know will not drive the AKG's, so it will be leaving me soon and I need to find an amp to replace it that drives the AKG's, but also does well with Grado's. I have read that the Heed CanAmp does well with the AKG's, but I am not quite sure how well it would do with Grado's as the reviews so far are not that promising. Anyways, I am looking to stay under $500 for the amp. What would you guys recommend?

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 4
This is a tough one. The K-340 needs a very powerful amp and those kind of amps generally don't match very well with Grado's. The EC-01 I have is a very powerful tube amp that does good with the K-340 but much less so with the RS-1 that I also have. Same goes for the Mapletree which I use for the RS-1, it's great with the RS-1 but not so good with the K-340.

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by braker218
Well, I'm pretty sure I am going to give the K340 another shot, and this time I plan on driving them better than I was before. Currently I have a millet hybrid, which I know will not drive the AKG's, so it will be leaving me soon and I need to find an amp to replace it that drives the AKG's, but also does well with Grado's. I have read that the Heed CanAmp does well with the AKG's, but I am not quite sure how well it would do with Grado's as the reviews so far are not that promising. Anyways, I am looking to stay under $500 for the amp. What would you guys recommend?

Tomorrow, there's a mini-meet in Fl where there will be an RS-1, a few 340s and the Heed (other amps also) present. Look for impressions. Or you might want to contact mrarroyo. He owns all of the above, and probably has more listening hours on the Canamp than the rest of us combined.

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 4
The Corda Eartube has the power for k340. The question would be if the resulting sound is tube-y enough for your RS-2. They're included in Jam's current sale, so not being quite within your stated budget - there is no better time to get your hands on one. A description of their sound is: same as Prehead, with a slight essence of tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back