Amp for K240?
Apr 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LordSnail123

Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of AKG K240's for classical - namely string/orchestral. They are shipping right now, and I was wondering if they would benefit from a dac/amp, to replace the usage of my computer's onboard audio (dell latitude). Any good recommendations for a dac/amp, and is one necessary? My budget for the dac/amp is $200.

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 10
Ok so after reading these forums I was under the impression that K240 is fairly easy to drive and Q701 is this untameable monster that needs powerful and expensive amp to sound good..

So before this thread I hadn't done the calculations between the two. Because it turns out that K240 is actually harder to drive than the popular Q701 model. So at least from technical point of view K240 would benefit from having an amp.

K240 needs something that can output 79mW, 2.09Vrms and 38mA into 55ohm in order to reach 110dBSPL.

For comparison Q701 needs 51mW, 1.78Vrms and 28.7mA into 62ohm to get the same 110dBSPL.

As you can see both of these models aren't that hard to drive in the end.

When looking for an amp try to find something that meets the criteria mentioned above at ~55ohm.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Good call on the amp thing, I've noticed that while they've been fine out of my units, an amp helped to tighten up the sound a bit. There wasn't a massive difference, but it sure seemed like the headphone like having the extra power available to it. I used them with the E5 and Asgard, and obviously the Asgard was better at everything. I don't know what you were looking to spend on an amp, though.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Good call on the amp thing, I've noticed that while they've been fine out of my units, an amp helped to tighten up the sound a bit. There wasn't a massive difference, but it sure seemed like the headphone like having the extra power available to it. I used them with the E5 and Asgard, and obviously the Asgard was better at everything. I don't know what you were looking to spend on an amp, though.

A little under $200 is what I'm targeting, if that is a reasonable range. 

EDIT: suggestions? :D

May 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 10
Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card.
Way under your budget.

May 2, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 10
I read that Asus (and creative) make bad drivers for their sound cards. Is this true?

EDIT: Other than that, it seems pretty nice.

I'm also planning on buying a new computer, I don't want to deal with my current one (it's meh, and I was planning on upgrading way before I bought new headphones). How does the Xonar DG compare to the audio card(?) included with the Dell XPS 8500?

May 2, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I read that Asus (and creative) make bad drivers for their sound cards. Is this true?
EDIT: Other than that, it seems pretty nice.
I'm also planning on buying a new computer, I don't want to deal with my current one (it's meh, and I was planning on upgrading way before I bought new headphones). How does the Xonar DG compare to the audio card(?) included with the Dell XPS 8500?

No one makes the perfect sound driver, I do prefer Asus software myself, which I have found to be mostly trouble free.
Saying Creative Labs & Asus make "bad drivers" is a very crude and overly unconstructive statement.
Most computers sold use an low cost on-board audio processor (and low cost DAC) for sound, which I'm guessing is what you will find in the Dell XPS 8500.
On-board audio has improved in the last few years, it more decent sound, not great sound.
Also the Xonar DG comes with a basic headphone amplifier, which I'm sure your future computer will not have.

May 2, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
No one makes the perfect sound driver, I do prefer Asus software myself, which I have found to be mostly trouble free.
Saying Creative Labs & Asus make "bad drivers" is a very crude and overly unconstructive statement.
Most computers sold use an low cost on-board audio processor (and low cost DAC) for sound, which I'm guessing is what you will find in the Dell XPS 8500.
On-board audio has improved in the last few years, it more decent sound, not great sound.
Also the Xonar DG comes with a basic headphone amplifier, which I'm sure your future computer will not have.

Thanks for the info, I will probably get the Xonar DG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back