amp for jolida?
Aug 5, 2003 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

neggy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I was wondering that since my source the jolida jd100 costed alot more then my amp, is this bottlenecking my system? I am borrowing a creek obh11 se right now from my dealer and iam not sure if its bottlenecking it because i have never heard anything better.
Right now i am looking at the creek obh 21se, i am returning my rega ear because i feel that this amp does not bring my source to its full potential.
So i am looking for an amp that will allow my jolida to sing, is a gilmore v2 better then the creek? My budget is 700 canadian. The gilmore is going for 399 so iam considering it. I cant seem to find any comparisons so any comments about it would be great. I will be using hd600's with the amp i am not sure if i will buy the cardas cable or just live with the stock one.

thx
600smile.gif

neggy

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by neggy
is a gilmore v2 better then the creek?

Yes.

I really think there are much better options for Senns at the price point then the Creek (which I own).

Though I haven't heard that particular Jolida unit (I've heard/own a few other of their products) and I am willing to bet that being it's tubed sound would mate terrifically with the gilmore. Keep things nice and musical and from getting too dry or analyitical which the I feel it erred on with the senns. The detail was always good, as was the balance, soundstage and extension on both ends, but something held it back a little in this combo. (absolutely love the amp, senns not first choice though)

At the ~700 canadian price point I would also suggest looking into a single power amp. While I love both amps, and they both had their strong points, in the end I felt the single power was just more enjoyable with the senns.

Also, you have the highly acclaimed MG Head options and Meta approaches you out to look into.

All in all I think there are better ways to spend that money then with a Creek

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 10
I was thinking the exact same thing. I was considering the creek because it was the only amp i could listen to. Where do you buy this single power amp? I have been interested in the mg head as well just not too keen on rolling tubes. I just realized if i am returning my rega ear i will have actually about 900 bucks for an amp and IC's. (cad)

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 10
I was thinking the exact same thing. I was considering the creek because it was the only amp i could listen to. Where do you buy this single power amp? I have been interested in the mg head as well just not too keen on rolling tubes. I just realized if i am returning my rega ear i will actually have about 900 bucks for an amp and IC's. (cad) So i guess that opens up my options a bit more.

Aug 5, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 10
Aug 5, 2003 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Yea thx i read that review. I have the creek obh 11se right now which has better components its supposed to be Class A and it has the upgraded obh2 power supply. So it should sound better then the regular obh 11. O well i am upgrading it so it doesnt matter..

I am leaning towards either a gilmore v2 or a MG HEAD DT/OTL 32.. thats gonna break the bank
tongue.gif
That price of 595 USD is preety steep is there a cheaper place to buy them? Is a tube sounding amp like the mg head good for rock music or would a SS be a better match?
thx for the advice...
600smile.gif

Aug 6, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 10
The ASL OTL32 can rock. Try www.upscaleaudio.com and see if Kevin can give you a better deal. It also really makes the Senns come alive when they are run with the amp in the high voltage setting. Also get the cable upgrade, its a big improvement for the Senns., and one you will notice no matter which amp you pick.

Aug 6, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 10
Hey thx for the advice, i can get the mg head mkll tommorow from a dealer in calgary or i could get the otl 32 but i am worried about the customs charges, if it weights about 11 lbs or so its gonna be quite a bit wont it? I think if its 595 american that works out to be 826 canadian, i have about 940 bucks so i dunno if 120 will cover the duties, shipping etc..I also need to get some quality IC's so i dont think the otl 32 will work. Is the otl 32 really worth about 300 bucks more? IF i got the otl 32 i wouldnt need an upgrade for a long time..
confused.gif

Also head fiers in canada who order amps or headphones what kind of charges do you pay for duty? I know a few canadians have ordered gilmores, if its not a problem could you tell me how much you ended up paying in shipping, duties, customs fees etc.. If i ask my dad to borrow some money for a 900 dollar headphone amp it wont go over well..lol

Aug 6, 2003 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 10
Isn't www.divertech.com in canada? I think they are the importer for ASL. I think the OTL32 is a big step up from the MG Head. More power better bass and highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back