AMP for He400se
Jun 2, 2022 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

harry501501

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all, looking for a new desktop AMP to drive the Hifiman HE400se. My current setup is the SMSL Sanskrit 10th II DAC and an old but reliable cheap Music Fidelity AMP. I'm happy with the DAC, but looking for a more modern upgrade to the AMP. Looking to get the best possible neutral sound... If it can boost the sub bass of the 400se then great, but not essential.

Open to suggestions up to £150 max. Anyone with experience with the following AMPs with a planar - or even better with the 400se itself - then love to hear your opinion. From reading, a lot of listeners recommend a balanced setup with planars, but for me it's not essential.

Schiit Magni 3
JDS Atom + AMP
Ifi Zen Can
SMSL SH-6
Sabaj A10h

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 4
I had those and when I went from the phone to the SMSL SP200 or THX789 it just didn't scale up or sound better. The HE400I or HE4xx really gives an improvement. There's no benefit to balanced with headphones like there is with speakers. The best amp I've used with planars is the Magni Heresy which has plenty of grunt and is more treble forgiving than the THX stuff. I have an Asgard 3 also but the Heresy I have is great unless you plan on the He6se, which really needs the Asgard.

Jun 3, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 4
Interesting comment as there are a lot of 400se users who swear by balanced (not that I'm doubting your opinion). To be honest, the amp I have is way passed it's sell by date and is maybe adding a bit too much colour. I do like the extra body, but think a new amp will get a bit more out of the 400se, even if it is marginal. Thanks for your comment

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Vintage receivers are great because they have power to spare for these power hungry beasts. The headphone jack is driven from the main amp via a dropping resistor. I drive mine with a restored HK330A - the sound is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back