Amp for HE-300s?
Mar 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vese

100+ Head-Fier
What amp will make these cans shine? I dont know much about the amp-side of headphones and I kind of want to get into full sized ones to improve the overall listening experience. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 9
I think my Asgard is a really good amp.  Very smooth and musical.  It has some serious magic with my DT990s and HD600s, so I suspect it will be similar with the HE-300s.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 9
I've been eyeing the Schiit amps for a while and I've heard nothing but good reviews, I might just have to take the plunge and hope they don't sound like Schiit....BA DUMM TSHHH . The Schiit jokes probably won't get old any time soon.
The only thing I'm worried about is a lack of improvement..everyone just says the Schiit amps "warrm up the sound" and "improve vocals, especially female ones" when I'm already more than satisfied with the HE-300s in that field, they compare to much higher end headphones vocally imo. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 9
I think the Asgard is very true to the source, but does have a hint of smoothness and warmth.  The best recommendation I can give is when I compare my Asgard ($250) to my Trafomatic Experience Head One tube amp ($1500).  The Asgard is easily 85-90% the amp the Trafomatic is.  Yes, my ears work just fine.  The Asgard is just that good.  And the big bucks are spent in the last 10% of audio improvement.  You can spend thousands and thousands for only a small improvement.  The jump for low-fi to mid-fi is a lot easier and cheaper than the jump from upper-mid-fi to hi-fi.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I think the Asgard is very true to the source, but does have a hint of smoothness and warmth.  The best recommendation I can give is when I compare my Asgard ($250) to my Trafomatic Experience Head One tube amp ($1500).  The Asgard is easily 85-90% the amp the Trafomatic is.  Yes, my ears work just fine.  The Asgard is just that good.  And the big bucks are spent in the last 10% of audio improvement.  You can spend thousands and thousands for only a small improvement.  The jump for low-fi to mid-fi is a lot easier and cheaper than the jump from upper-mid-fi to hi-fi.

That statement : "...big bucks are spent in the last 10% of audio improvement" is SO true and people don't understand it at all, I understand that from previous headphone use but I haven't extensively tested amps, sources or cables. 
I might also wait to just get a whole new rig to be honest, new source, new cans, new amp, I had the money before hand but I didn't want to justify spending 2.5k+ for a listening rig.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 9
That's the beauty of this hobby--we have so much flexibility to customize and the itch to upgrade is always there.  Enjoy the journey!  It's all about what sounds good to us as well as the aesthetic beauty of getting the best gear we can afford!

Quote:
That statement : "...big bucks are spent in the last 10% of audio improvement" is SO true and people don't understand it at all, I understand that from previous headphone use but I haven't extensively tested amps, sources or cables. 
I might also wait to just get a whole new rig to be honest, new source, new cans, new amp, I had the money before hand but I didn't want to justify spending 2.5k+ for a listening rig.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
That's the beauty of this hobby--we have so much flexibility to customize and the itch to upgrade is always there.  Enjoy the journey!  It's all about what sounds good to us as well as the aesthetic beauty of getting the best gear we can afford!

Or I may get a much better gym rig..only time will tell, thanks for the help.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 9
It's a never ending cycle.  As soon as you upgrade your desktop setup, you upgrade your gym setup, then the itch to upgrade the desktop setup strikes....repeat ad nauseum....

Quote:
Or I may get a much better gym rig..only time will tell, thanks for the help.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
It's a never ending cycle.  As soon as you upgrade your desktop setup, you upgrade your gym setup, then the itch to upgrade the desktop setup strikes....repeat ad nauseum....

Well..well honey I spend a lot of time at the gym and $10,000 isnt THAT much for a portable rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back