Amp for HD800's, budget around $2000
May 2, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 30
Though I've never actually tried it out, a Benchmark DAC1 through HD800's sounds like an instant headache to me. I've tried the Benchmark twice in my speaker systems as well as having heard it in a friends system and at shows. I find the upper mids and highs to be hopelessly strident and grating on me. This was via an early version and later a more recent USB version. With the HD800's being a clear conduit for what's behind them I would definitely consider a new source.

I had a Rockhopper 3-board B22 which I recently sold. I thought it was an excellent amp for the HD800's if you are into hearing as much detail as possible. It doesn't break a sweat with the HD800's and gives it all they need in terms of current (bass is definitely not lacking). Soundstage could be improved, but was very impressive for an SS amp. I'd say speed, punch and detail are the forte of the b22 + HD800 combination. It's a great combo for rock, orchestral....dense, fast, demanding music. To my ears the sound was a bit sterile, which may equate to "neutral" to someone else. In the end I found that, as much as I enjoy hearing detail, it was almost a bit overwhelming to me in that respect. That's not to say someone else may not like it, but I needed it to be tempered a bit and went back to tubes for that purpose. I'm now using a WA6SEm and am very happy with that combination. It sacrifices a bit of detail (though not much) for a deeper soundstage and perhaps a bit more warmth/coloration, though again, not much - it is not a classically "tubey" warm sound that one might associate with tube components. It's a nice combo to my ears. I've heard an extensively modified WA22 and would say that would also be an excellent choice, but more expensive to be sure. I'm using a PS Audio DLIII as a front end DAC right now and it's fine, though not the last word in front ends. Definitely more listenable/enjoyable than a Benchmark is to my ears.

Good luck!

May 2, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 30
I have a DNA Sonnet driving my HD800...source is Lavry DA11.

Great combination...DNA Sonnet is a fantastic amplifier...and only $1200.

Tubes are a good match for the HD800...I tried some solid state amps but the sound was a little cool and lean.

But if you can try to listen a Lavry DA11 ($1200) you probably will want one...for me one of the best DAC for prices < $2500.

May 2, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #19 of 30
Actually, the relaxed presentation of the wa22 might do alright with the dac1.

May 2, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the USB Lehmann BCL?

I need optical inputs (and i'm not a fan of it's dac).

I know it seems hard to believe but I really like the sound of the benchmark dac1 with the hd800's. I haven't tried a Lavry DA11 and have no way of hearing one, I don't know if I would like it (and now I like the benchmark).

I am leaning towards a tube amplifier, largely as I have never had one (which I now in terms of sq might not be the smartest reasoning, but trying out new things is never a bad thing).

May 3, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, try taking the Audio Critic approach ... any CD or universal player, and a dynalo or integrated amp with headphone out. let us know how it sounds!

The HD-800 with a Dynalo is really quite good. I know the price might be too affordable for the pricetag snobs, but Dr. Gilmore's design is an excellent one. A Dynalo was one of my first builds and I still find it a very capable amp. I found another stuffed Dynalo board here some time back and I've got a couple of STEPs power supplies finished, so I'm going to put it all together for a balanced DynaMid/Gilmore Reference. Back in the day, that was considered one of the finest amps available. I don't see why it still wouldn't be.

If you think the Dynalo is a poor amp, why don't you take it up with Kevin Gilmore? Maybe you could give him some suggestions for building a better amp.

There's a lot of genital flagellation over digital sources - especially considering pricetags. Most digital sources these days are excellent with distortion below the threshold of human hearing. Output voltage varies, but that doesn't mean a source is "bad." Try level matching digital sources and see if you can hear a difference.

That being said, I love the Zana Deux with the HD-800. It's a remarkable combination and I listen to it often. I prefer the Moth Si2A3 slightly, however, they're not generally available. Consider yourself lucky that the Zana Deux is still in production. Be sure to read the Zana Deux owner's thread for an idea of just how good it is.

May 3, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #22 of 30
How far are different Dynalo implementations 'away' from each other anyways? On one hand people say its a wire with gain, on the other hand Headamp used to have both the GLite and GS1 at different price points - doesn't that mean they're sound different? I'm sure there's room for differences for implementation and parts, but how big of a difference does it really make?

May 3, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #23 of 30
If you like tube amps, Zana deux is a very good choice. For SS, there are quite a few that's within your budget: DNA Sonnet, SPL Phonitor, just to name a couple...

May 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you think the Dynalo is a poor amp, why don't you take it up with Kevin Gilmore? Maybe you could give him some suggestions for building a better amp.

LOL... I don't think you understood my meaning. My comment was a bit sarcastic but also a bit realistic. Kind of a flippant remark both to those who think kilobuck sources are needed for the HD800 and for those who think sources don't matter at all. I used the headphone out on a technics receiver for a while and it sounded pretty good.

Actually I take your advice more than anybody else's here. I was about to purchase a gilmore lite 2 weeks ago, solely based on your various posts about it earlier this year Eventually I decided I could afford more, but if I was on a budget, I'd get a dynalo and be done. I've also bought a few headphones (DT880, DT48, SA5K) just cause you think highly of them.

I'm in the process of building my system now and when it's done, it will almost exactly follow the audio critic's guidelines. I'll have a cheap digital source (DACmagic), amps that give adequate power (Lake People G100 and STAX SRM1) and very cheap cables.

May 3, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a lot of genital flagellation over digital sources - especially considering pricetags. Most digital sources these days are excellent...

I personally find genital flagellation to be quite enjoyable and a positive factor making my life better, though unfortunately the urge to engage in the activity has lessened with advancing age. Sad, really.
frown.gif

Oh, yes, I agree that most digital sources are quite good these days. Including inexpensive portable DAP's, DVD players used for 2 ch audio, various DAC's, CDP's, etc. though I wouldn't call all of them excellent. I think this is a great thing, the fact that good digital sources are so widespread and so inexpensive.

However, and I guess everyone was expecting a however, I also think that some sources are better than others. Maybe not in a quantifiable way, but in ways that lead to skewed preferences of one over another. Eg. Lavry DA10 vs. Benchmark DAC1. It's not always a matter of higher price = more preferable, but in general I think this is the case. I admit it, even though I'm very much for lower price = more preferable.

I will also admit that the difference between, let's say a randomly chosen $250 source and another randomly chosen $2500 source will probably not be as great as one would expect. I think this says more about how good the technology is, and how high-performing inexpensive digital sources can be, than about how a higher-cost source is just "genital flagellation."

By the way, both the Benchmark DAC1 and Lavry DA10 are less expensive than the HD800 and Zana Deux. I'm not exactly sure why they can be characterized as genital flagellation and the HD800 and Zana Deux are not. I'm sure there are people who don't believe much in amp differences who would call the $$$ Zana Deux a waste of money, arguably a better-suited and better choice of words than "genital flagellation."

May 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #26 of 30
Well I think Dac's and amps both make a big difference (just tried using my laptop out to my amp which sounded horrible). Lets get back on topic, this thread is all about me and my wants. Me me me.
tongue.gif
But any hot girl who's into genital flagellation of mine, can come over any time.
biggrin.gif

On a serious note to my ears the difference between the details I could here between my dacmagic and the benchmark dac1 was significant (and price wasn't a factor as I had no idea what the benchmark cost at the time).
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabcs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a DNA Sonnet driving my HD800...source is Lavry DA11.

Great combination...DNA Sonnet is a fantastic amplifier...and only $1200.

Tubes are a good match for the HD800...I tried some solid state amps but the sound was a little cool and lean.

But if you can try to listen a Lavry DA11 ($1200) you probably will want one...for me one of the best DAC for prices < $2500.

I do want to hear a lavry da11. How would you describe the difference between the dacs of the benchmark and Lavry (and which one is more neatral?)

May 4, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I've never actually tried it out, a Benchmark DAC1 through HD800's sounds like an instant headache to me. I've tried the Benchmark twice in my speaker systems as well as having heard it in a friends system and at shows. I find the upper mids and highs to be hopelessly strident and grating on me.

I feel the DAC1 is hyper detailed in certain area and is tonally thin but many obviously love it.

Maybe our preferences are shaped by what we're accustomed to listening. My preference for details with harmonics intact, and a full-bodied tonal balance probably caused me to react this way to the DAC1.

May 4, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the DAC1 is hyper detailed in certain area and is tonally thin but many obviously love it.

Maybe our preferences are shaped by what we're accustomed to listening. My preference for details with harmonics intact, and a full-bodied tonal balance probably caused me to react this way to the DAC1.

I agree, I would also add that the amps we have used with them would make a significant difference as well. I also use my headphones for movies which further changes what i'm looking for.

May 4, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #29 of 30
Yeah I agree on the amp's role in an audio system, though I have a lot more experience in speaker than headphone systems.

I would usually match the speakers to the amp well as a foundation, then get the best source I can afford. That may not hold much water in headfi as people tend to have a collection of headphones to play with.

May 4, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I agree on the amp's role in an audio system, though I have a lot more experience in speaker than headphone systems.

I would usually match the speakers to the amp well as a foundation, then get the best source I can afford. That may not hold much water in headfi as people tend to have a collection of headphones to play with.

I only have one pair of headphones. But yeah, I would like the akg 340
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back