Amp for HD660S
Dec 5, 2020 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

23jim

New Head-Fier
I an looking to up my headphone game and recently ordered the HD660S as an upgrade to my almost 20 year old HD590's. I am mostly running.my phones out of the LG V40 using Usb Audio Player Pro app with local digitized CD's (wav files) as well as Tidal Hifi.

The LG V40 does an admirable job on the HD590's but I want to add a killer amp (and maybe DAC) that will show me all the HD 660S can do.

MASSDROP X ALEX CAVALLI LIQUID CARBON X AMP looks nice (and cheap) but the Liquid Platinum and Chord Mojo as look like possible choices.

Any suggestions on equipment that really will make a big improvement over my LG V40 with the HD 660S?

I don't want a little improvement, I want a "holly sh%t!"

Mostly harder rock but also jazz, 70's fusion and softer stuff. Everything from Blondie, The Who, Rush, Jeff Beck, Megadeth, Steve Earle, Jimmy Reed (listening to right now, fabulous!), Mike Stern, John Mayall, B.O.C., Alice and Chains, Michael Jackson (OK, only Thriller) Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Disturbed, Eagles, Mahavishnu Orchestra, AC/DC, Led Zep and Nine Inch Nails, pretty much everything from the 60's,70's, and 90's.

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 18
23jim,

I really enjoy the HD660s, they are one of my very favorite headphones. Currently I have been enjoying them with the Liquid Platinum amp fed with the Black Ice tube dac from a laptop using usb. This combo does have that “holy s$&t” experience.

I know the MOJO will provide a very significant improvement as well. I rarely use my V30 with fullsized headphones without using the MOJO. Especially the HD660s. If you intend to keep using the phone as source the MOJO is a great choice.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 18
My favorite amp to pair with my 660s so far has been the Hagerman Audio Tuba. It takes the cake over my Feliks Audio Elise, GSX-mini and the Liquid platinum. Unfortunately i had to sell mine to make room on my desk but theres something with the tuba that just synergizes with the the 660. A pair of Mullard El84 tubes and youre set for audio nirvana. theres one on sale in the Sale section for dirt cheap.

Dec 5, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 18
My favorite amp to pair with my 660s so far has been the Hagerman Audio Tuba. It takes the cake over my Feliks Audio Elise, GSX-mini and the Liquid platinum. Unfortunately i had to sell mine to make room on my desk but theres something with the tuba that just synergizes with the the 660. A pair of Mullard El84 tubes and youre set for audio nirvana. theres one on sale in the Sale section for dirt cheap.
Interesting.
I am intrigued.

Dec 5, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 18
23jim,

I really enjoy the HD660s, they are one of my very favorite headphones. Currently I have been enjoying them with the Liquid Platinum amp fed with the Black Ice tube dac from a laptop using usb. This combo does have that “holy s$&t” experience.

I know the MOJO will provide a very significant improvement as well. I rarely use my V30 with fullsized headphones without using the MOJO. Especially the HD660s. If you intend to keep using the phone as source the MOJO is a great choice.
Wow that Black Ice Tube amp looks very interesting but probably way out of my budget.

What do you think is the better pairing the Liquid platinum out of a generic dac like Modi or Modius or just the straight Chord Mojo?

The mojo looks like the real deal but the battery and setup looks a little dated (Chord Mojo 2 anytime soon? Maybe with more desktop friendly setup?)

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 18
You are right the MOJO is a little dated but still a device that makes the HD660s just wow you. A MOJO 2 would be a blessing with more battery life for sure. Another option in the same genre as the MOJO is the xDuoo XD05 Plus, an up to date and highly capable Dac/Amp that pairs well with the HD660s. I mean really well too.

The Black Ice Dac I got on sale for around 670 usd. It is the best dac I have ever heard. I used to think the dac was just an afterthought. Just something to change zeros and ones to frequencies for analog playback. I took a chance on the Black Ice because of their partnership with Jim Fosgate (a legend), and the fact that it outputs the dac chip directly to the tubes. Plus there are a lot of other great design aspects. I have to admit this dac has been the best purchase I have made. That is why I always mention it in the chain because without it your mileage may change. Mileage as in smiles per dollar. Is it (The Dac)? of course not - I was happy with others before I got it. This is a hobby, well for me a passion. For now this is my Dac and I’m stickin with it.

It will be a chicken and the egg thing. Which comes first the dac or the amp?

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 18
The cheapskate in me is very interested in your xDuoo XD05 Plus recomendation.

Is it really a step above the LG dac/amps? A small step or significant (I realize this is different for different people).

In what way? Soundstage width? Imaging?

Any more details would be appreciated.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 18
The main advantage of the xDuoo XD05 Plus is just about power. Nothing more spectacular than enough power to open up the HD660s. The HD660s is a 150 ohm headphone, and loves power as in an amp that delivers enough power that opens them up to their full potential. The xDuoo does this, although not as good as the MOJO. The dac section of the MOJO as dated is it may be is still superior, in that it is descrete (in house developed by chord) versus off the shelf akm 4493 utilized by xDuoo.

The HD600s loves a powerful amp. Most powerful not required but reasonably powerful much better synergy.

I have iSine 20s that I am listening to now. They rival many full sized headphone when drivin with enough power to release their full potential. I am currently listening to them with the same volume settings I would use for HD660s. Via the black ice dac and liquid platinum amp. Dac pre is volume controlled at 60 percent volume to a sweet spot, amp is is at 60 percent also this is very loud but I rock n roll mother fluffer.

The HD660s is a fabulous headphone, look at amps that are able to deliver enough power to deliver what they are capable of. Balanced whole new concept and why the Liquid Plattinum is a contender. Probably one of the best upgrades to the HD660s is a balanced cable. You will find this out after you own a pair. Congrats on buying a headphone that has a vast variety in cable choices. Balanced might not be a must but is a preference by many.

Once you choose to go balanced then balanced amp is required.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 18
The main advantage of the xDuoo XD05 Plus is just about power. Nothing more spectacular than enough power to open up the HD660s. The HD660s is a 150 ohm headphone, and loves power as in an amp that delivers enough power that opens them up to their full potential. The xDuoo does this, although not as good as the MOJO. The dac section of the MOJO as dated is it may be is still superior, in that it is descrete (in house developed by chord) versus off the shelf akm 4493 utilized by xDuoo.

The HD600s loves a powerful amp. Most powerful not required but reasonably powerful much better synergy.

I have iSine 20s that I am listening to now. They rival many full sized headphone when drivin with enough power to release their full potential. I am currently listening to them with the same volume settings I would use for HD660s. Via the black ice dac and liquid platinum amp. Dac pre is volume controlled at 60 percent volume to a sweet spot, amp is is at 60 percent also this is very loud but I rock n roll mother fluffer.

The HD660s is a fabulous headphone, look at amps that are able to deliver enough power to deliver what they are capable of. Balanced whole new concept and why the Liquid Plattinum is a contender. Probably one of the best upgrades to the HD660s is a balanced cable. You will find this out after you own a pair. Congrats on buying a headphone that has a vast variety in cable choices. Balanced might not be a must but is a preference by many.

Thanks for the nice and detailed answer.

I do think the xDuoo XD05 Plus is at the top of my SE options. Considering the 660S does come with a balanced cable it would be nice if it had a 4.4 balanced output, but it still sounds like an excellent choice. The price/performance ratio also looks very good.

The Liquid Platinum at $400 sounds pretty hard to resist too but that would require another investment in a dac (I doubt the LG V40 as its source would reveal its true potential).

I have read modi multibut ($250) is a nice pairing with LP but I wonder if a straight Modi or Modius (with balanced cables) would be a better choice and could either save a few bucks or add quality due to balanced outputs).

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 18

Have you ever heard the XDUOO TA-10?
Looks like it might work nicely.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 18
I love my HD660's with both my amps:
1) Liquid Platinum via a balanced cable bought from Amazon.ca. Great sound.

2) On the flip side, the Violectric V220 Really fills them out via SE. It even gives them bass.
Violectric is expensive though (I bought mine used).

The LP, I think, is currently on sale for $399.00, which is a phenomenal! I paid $600.00 several months ago and have no regrets. The only downside to an LP is the high gain. Not friendly to efficient headphones or IEM's.

To give you an idea of my preferences, favourites are:
1A) Grado GH2's
1B) Focal Elex's
2A) Senn HD660's
2B) HiFiman Sundara's

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #12 of 18
I love my HD660's with both my amps:
1) Liquid Platinum via a balanced cable bought from Amazon.ca. Great sound.

2) On the flip side, the Violectric V220 Really fills them out via SE. It even gives them bass.
Violectric is expensive though (I bought mine used).

The LP, I think, is currently on sale for $399.00, which is a phenomenal! I paid $600.00 several months ago and have no regrets. The only downside to an LP is the high gain. Not friendly to efficient headphones or IEM's.

To give you an idea of my preferences, favourites are:
1A) Grado GH2's
1B) Focal Elex's
2A) Senn HD660's
2B) HiFiman Sundara's
What source(s) do you use them with on the Liquid Platinum?

How is the soundstage width & depth? Imaging?

I have read different things about the treble of the LP. How are the highs on it with the 660s?

Do the mids really show off the vocals? Are the vocals more forward or more recessed?

Thanks for any info.

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 18
Duplicate post

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 18
What source(s) do you use them with on the Liquid Platinum?

How is the soundstage width & depth? Imaging?

I have read different things about the treble of the LP. How are the highs on it with the 660s?

Do the mids really show off the vocals? Are the vocals more forward or more recessed?

Thanks for any info.

I suck at using audiophile technical terms.

My source is a Sony DAP (NW-ZX300) feeding USB into a SMSL SU-8. Then out to various amps.

I find the sound from the LP very full. I do find it brighter than the V220, but I do not find the treble harsh at all. I also do not find the bass overly strong at all.

I find its sounds different from, but complimentary to, the Violectric unit. It really is a great 1-2 punch.

I am very happy with the performance of the mids/vocals.

My priorities in music are:
1) Mids - vocals are my favourite
2) Bass - I am not a basshead and do not like EDM/Hip hop. But I do want to hear the drums with authority.
3) Treble - not big on treble. Disliked the Beyer T5p.2's strongly. Although I do love to hear a saxophone wail.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 18
I suck at using audiophile technical terms.

My source is a Sony DAP (NW-ZX300) feeding USB into a SMSL SU-8. Then out to various amps.

I find the sound from the LP very full. I do find it brighter than the V220, but I do not find the treble harsh at all. I also do not find the bass overly strong at all.

I find its sounds different from, but complimentary to, the Violectric unit. It really is a great 1-2 punch.

I am very happy with the performance of the mids/vocals.

My priorities in music are:
1) Mids - vocals are my favourite
2) Bass - I am not a basshead and do not like EDM/Hip hop. But I do want to hear the drums with authority.
3) Treble - not big on treble. Disliked the Beyer T5p.2's strongly. Although I do love to hear a saxophone wail.
Thanks. Our priorities line up pretty well and the LP looked like a great match at $400. Now that it is back up to $800, I will either wait or go with something else which is probably good as $400 would be pretty hard to swallow with the $320 I just spent for the 660s.

It looks like the Asgard 3 maybe a better 1st amp for me as it is only $200 and looks like it is a great solid state amp/deal.

It would have been a lot simpler if I just got the HD 6xx and Darkvoice 336 like my original plan.😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back