AMP for HD660S?
Dec 28, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 17
Dec 28, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 17
If you want solid state, Schiit Jotunheim is a great option for the HD600s series. Alternatively, I remember Zeos commented on how good aune X7S sounds on his hd600 as well so you might wanna check that amp out as well.
On the other hand, if you want a tube amp, I recommend Darkvoice, as mentioned above, (or La Figaro, an updated and more expensive version of Darkvoice), or Woo Audio WA3.

Either way, you won't go too wrong with these options.

May 14, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 17
If you want solid state, Schiit Jotunheim is a great option for the HD600s series. Alternatively, I remember Zeos commented on how good aune X7S sounds on his hd600 as well so you might wanna check that amp out as well.
On the other hand, if you want a tube amp, I recommend Darkvoice, as mentioned above, (or La Figaro, an updated and more expensive version of Darkvoice), or Woo Audio WA3.

Either way, you won't go too wrong with these options.

According to my experience, amp for HD600 is not so suitable for HD660s. HD660s has different sound signature, with relatively sharp (or I would say "life-making") heighs.

I have Little Dot Mk. II tube amp and found, that these tubes sound very pleasant for me ... almost without that "l-m" spike(s): Mullard EF95 tubes (in blue box) are very good choice for HD660s - solid bass and smooth heighs. Or Mullard 8100(CV4010) tubes are also great, with nice musicality.

Sometimes I like that "l-m" heighs in songs. Suddenly everything sounds so real and close with these Senn's, but its without some normal soundstage. I suppose, that this is, how they are built to sound.

My favourite amp for HD660s is also ordinary Yamaha solid state amp. It adds a physical throbs to the bass and a lot of energy to music.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 17
According to my experience, amp for HD600 is not so suitable for HD660s. HD660s has different sound signature, with relatively sharp (or I would say "life-making") heighs.

I have Little Dot Mk. II tube amp and found, that these tubes sound very pleasant for me ... almost without that "l-m" spike(s): Mullard EF95 tubes (in blue box) are very good choice for HD660s - solid bass and smooth heighs. Or Mullard 8100 tubes are also great, with nice musicality.

Sometimes I like that "l-m" heighs in songs. Suddenly everything sounds so real and close with these Senn's, but its without some normal soundstage. I suppose, that this is, how they are built to sound.

My favourite amp for HD660s is also ordinary Yamaha solid state amp. It adds a physical throbs to the bass and a lot of energy to music.
Jin092 can always daisy chain a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier ($214-$250) off the line-output of the NFB-11.28.

Oct 4, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 17
Oct 4, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 17
Hi friend I need your help here.. I have my HD58X paired with Aune x1s 10th, and I’m looking for a more powerful amp with laidback tonality.. how would you recommend the darkvoice with the HD58X ? Thanks a lot
Sure, the Darkvoice 336SE drives my HD58X nicely :)

Oct 4, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #15 of 17
I didn't like the Jotunheim (balanced dac) with the 660s or the schiit stack theres something off with the tones on that Dac chip that rubs me the wrong way.... The sennheiser gsx1000 also was ok but not great lacks bass. I do find I prefer JDS labs The Element with them, highs are a bit veiled by comparison to a few other units i've tried but overall its a nicer listening experience, great seperations, micro details shine through with most things, nice bass. Also very good for gaming even better than the GSX1000. It is my recommendation for 660s & i guess HD58X since they are similar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back