AMP FOR HD595's
May 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #16 of 19
Well, they arrived yesterday and the sound is simply awesome!
I decided to power them with my Yamaha digital receiver, and  in "straight" mode, it sounds flawless.

There are more expensive headphones out there, and some that are called "better", but I think this is the end of the line for me because I simply can't hear any room for improvement. Maybe "perfect" sound doesn't exist, but if I heard it I doubt I could tell it apart from these.

May 28, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 19
In comparison to my HD650, the HD595 did not improve much on my E7/E9 DAC/AMP combo. In fact I thought the soundstage, bass and treble extension were all better directly from the breakout box headphone amp of my sound card (Terratec 6Fire 96/24).

May 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #18 of 19
i said the same thing 4 pairs of headphones ago. now i'm in the market for an amp and dac

Quote:
Well, they arrived yesterday and the sound is simply awesome!
I decided to power them with my Yamaha digital receiver, and  in "straight" mode, it sounds flawless.

There are more expensive headphones out there, and some that are called "better", but I think this is the end of the line for me because I simply can't hear any room for improvement. Maybe "perfect" sound doesn't exist, but if I heard it I doubt I could tell it apart from these.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #19 of 19
Well, I have actually ended up making a change, but more of a lateral move than an upgrade per se. I decided that outside noises were bothering me too much (the air conditioner, the washing machine, a TV in the other room, etc.), so I wanted to try closed 'phones.

I bought a pair of HD380s, and I find that they sound almost identical to the 595s but with isolation and a bit stronger bass. Not quite as comfortable (because of the clamping force), but close, plus they don't slide if I tilt my head.

Frankly, this has me questioning all the claims about open 'phones providing superior sound. The 380s sound every bit as clear and natural as the 595s to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back