Amp for HD580/HD650
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

noobie72

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I know this has been asked a million times before and I have read countless threads on this, but I'm still looking for an amp to power my HD580s and possibly HD650s if I upgrade.

I listen to music via laptop through an E-MU 0404 external DAC/AMP and was looking for an amp with more punch. The only other amp I've tried is the Eddie Current EC/SS which I felt had more power than the E-MU, but didin't drive the headphones with more authority, just louder.

Are there any amps around $400 that will do this? I'm looking for an amp that will add some brightness since I'll probably be upgrading to the HD650s for more soundstage and bass.

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 12
Is the Gilmore Lite more powerful than the Eddie Current? All the reviews I've read put them about the same. I've read the Senn's like amps with a lot of current, so tube amps are the way to go. If I go with the DV or Little Dot, can I configure them to remove some of the "darkness" of the Senns?

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 12
I really enjoy the ASL MG Head MKIII. It is a tube amp that runs about $400. It has amazing synergy with Sennheiser headphones. I have heard it with the HD600, HD650, and love it with my HD580.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 12
Ooh man, once I get my hands on the Audiotailor Jade sometime in the next few months, I would be able to provide better advice for this thread. But from the reviews I read, the EC/SS is quite a SS amp, Tubes may be your answer then.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the SS amps for now and going to bump my price ceiling. I'm going to look for a Graham Slee Solo or Headamp GS-1 on the B&S forums. If I don't like them, I can sell them for minimal loss and go the tube amp route.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back