Amp for Grado SR80i and SR325i
Mar 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Froy

New Head-Fier
I need another amp to be use in a different room.  My source is a Blu ray player for movies and music (CDs) and will also connect a pc.  My music genre is Rock, Pop, Jazz and classical.  The current amp Im using right now is a Creek OBH 11.  It does the job well for me but If I was to get another amp, I want something a little better ($500 max) possibly better bass.  Right now Im looking at the Schiit asgard2. The price seems right although I'm not sure if this will match my grados sound wise.  How will it compare to my OBH 11?  Also reading from the reviews about headphones blowing up, Im a bit worried.  I'm a newbie so please bear with me.  Thanks guys. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 6
Recently bought an iCAN.  Runs good with my 325i.  Has a low bass boost that's real nice.  Check it out:  http://ifi-audio.com/en/iCAN.html  $266.00 shipped.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 6
I have the 325i's (Goldies) and of the amps I've tired I've enjoyed them most with the Little Dot MKIII. The 325i isn't difficult to drive yet "to me" they benefit from a nice tube amp BUT I've heard nothing but great things about the Schiit Audio amps so I have no doubt that you'd enjoy them with the stellar Asgard 2. Schiit Audio really knows what they're doing and considering just last night I was able to get very nice sound with my 325i's from the HP amp built into my Parasound Zdac I'm sure that the Asgard 2 will more than fit the bill for you.

Best of luck!

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Never heard of it, but I will check it out Thanks

There are a TON of reviews and threads here on the Little Dot MKIII (about $200 + shipping), it was also reviewed by Sam Tellig in the May, 2010 issue of Stereophile and is currently listed in their Recommended Components if that helps. 

I find that the 325i's benefit from the warmth of a tube amp but I've had very good results from inexpensive, well designed, solid state amps as well. The Asgard 2 is very nice amp plus it can drive some planar headphones if you ever decided to go that route down the road.

Just remember that all that matters is that end up with gear that makes YOU happy...that sounds good to you and allows you the most musical enjoyment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back