Amp for DT990 250ohm
Aug 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bassfreek

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have creative sound blaster z and am looking to purchase the DT990ohm but not sure about what amp to get. My main usage will be for fps games and music. I recently tried the HD 598's but was quite disappointed with the bass so don't want to make that mistake again. Would my soundcard be okay to use as DAC as well? Any help help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 24
I have the DT 990 Pro and the Zx, waiting for my MKIII to come in the mail. I can report back with how it works when I get it, but from what I read it will be great. Even an MKII should suffice. 

I'm using the DAC on the card, I think its pretty decent, any upgrade would cost significantly more from what I have read, although someone can chime in on that. 

P.s. I'm an avid BF3 player, and listen to music as well. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:
Hello, I have Creative Sound Blaster Z and I'm looking to purchase the DT990 Pro 250-ohm but not sure about what amp to get. My main usage will be for fps games and music. I recently tried the HD 598's but was quite disappointed with the bass so don't want to make that mistake again. Would my sound card be okay to use as DAC as well? Any help help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

At least try the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm with the Z's built in headphone amplifier first, before spend more cash for an amp.

The PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2) is around $60-$65 (eBay) and can work as a AC amp or off it's batteries.
The Schiit Magni, $99, should easily drive your 250-ohm headphones.

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones are only 40-Ohms, so the Z would have no problem driving them.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
At least try the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm with the Z's built in headphone amplifier first, before spend more cash for an amp.

The PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2) is around $60-$65 (eBay) and can work as a AC amp or off it's batteries.
The Schiit Magni, $99, should easily drive your 250-ohm headphones.

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones are only 40-Ohms, so the Z would have no problem driving them.

In addition the Fiio E11 is about $35 and drives them well, although I never had much sucess using Portable amps with Sound Cards... unless there was a line out, but I have heard the Sound Blaster Z's amp does a good job with 600 ohms, So you should b fine with just it alone. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 24
Well my DT990 250ohm's arrived and I have to say im a bit disappointed with how they sound compared to my old creative fatal1ty gaming headset. Don't get me wrong they sound fantastic but it's not leaps and bounds ahead as I was expecting. I've ordered a Schiit Magni as I'm positive this is simply an issue of the cans not getting enough juice. I'll report back in a few days when the amp gets here. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 24
Just an FYI as well, I just recieved my Little Dot MKIII today - I thought my cans were good before on my Sound Blaster Zx, boy they have opened up now. Trust me, they should suit all your needs and destroy your old headphones. Good luck! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
Just an FYI as well, I just recieved my Little Dot MKIII today - I thought my cans were good before on my Sound Blaster Zx, boy they have opened up now. Trust me, they should suit all your needs and destroy your old headphones. Good luck! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome to know, my magni will be here tomorrow :)

I was curious does anyone happen to know if a DAC is completely useless to purchase along with my DT990 250ohm/Magni if I already have the sound blaster z?

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
Awesome to know, my Magni will be here tomorrow :)

I was curious does anyone happen to know if a DAC is completely useless to purchase along with my DT990 250ohm/Magni if I already have the Sound Blaster Z?

I would think the "Front Speaker" output would provide the Magni with a slightly clearer audio signal over plugging the Magni into the "Headphone" output.
The SB-Z comes with the CS4398 DAC chip, so you would have to spend a fair bit of cash for an optical input DAC to improve audio over the Z's DAC chip and still be able to use the Z's Headphone Surround Sound features. So I'm thinking it's better to stick to the SB-Z's DAC.
If all you care about is 2-channel audio for music, then maybe sell off the SB-Z and buy a USB DAC.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
I would think the "Front Speaker" output would provide the Magni with a slightly clearer audio signal over plugging the Magni into the "Headphone" output.
The SB-Z comes with the CS4398 DAC chip, so you would have to spend a fair bit of cash for an optical input DAC to improve audio over the Z's DAC chip and still be able to use the Z's Headphone Surround Sound features. So I'm thinking it's better to stick to the SB-Z's DAC.
If all you care about is 2-channel audio for music, then maybe sell off the SB-Z and buy a USB DAC.

Well I've got the Logitech Z5500's connected to the soundcard as well, and use it a fair bit, would hate to have to unplug it / plug it in when I want to switch. But yea that sounds good I'm tired of spending money will just use the Z's onboard DAC, no need to buy a Modi then, thanks a lot.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 24
I dunno what I was thinking but I had the EQ and a few other settings messed up in the SBX control panel, I thought it sounded good for some reason (maybe Im just slow..). But when I took most the settings back to standard on the EQ and left only a few small tweaks in place the DT990 250ohm's really came alive. Surround in the SBX control panel 25%, smart volume 60% (for fps games and doesn't seem to hurt the music experience), it's plenty loud and sounds brilliant. Definitely hearing subtle things in songs I hadn't heard before and questioning whether I should've bought the Magni. Oh well it's out for delivery, may as well just toy with it and if it doesn't seem worth it will just take the hit on their 15% restocking fee.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 24
Okay got the amp hooked up, gotta say I was impressed before but holy hell.. Everything has more presence, is brighter, and is just more aggressive in general (in a good way). Even with fps games the experience is a little more intense and immersive than it was before. This is my first time spending any kind of real money on a legit headphone setup and pretty pleased with the $500 I spent, looking forward to burning these things in. Thanks for all the comments and help on this people, is much appreciated.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
Okay got the amp hooked up, gotta say I was impressed before but holy hell.. Everything has more presence, is brighter, and is just more aggressive in general (in a good way). Even with fps games the experience is a little more intense and immersive than it was before. This is my first time spending any kind of real money on a legit headphone setup and pretty pleased with the $500 I spent, looking forward to burning these things in. Thanks for all the comments and help on this people, is much appreciated.

Yeah man this is my first headphone setup as well, even bought the Z new for it. I could not be happier, and I am glad your enjoying your setup as well!

I would suggest sometime in the future upgrading to a Little Dot MKII or MKIII, I LOVE this amp, the tubes are so much fun! Little Dot tube amps seem to be the best bang for the buck as well.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Yeah man this is my first headphone setup as well, even bought the Z new for it. I could not be happier, and I am glad your enjoying your setup as well!

I would suggest sometime in the future upgrading to a Little Dot MKII or MKIII, I LOVE this amp, the tubes are so much fun! Little Dot tube amps seem to be the best bang for the buck as well.

Ya I heard tube amps work wonders with the DT 990 but was a little out of my budget. One day I hope to give it a shot tho. For now just gonna have to deal with this Schiit, times are hard :p

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
Ya I heard tube amps work wonders with the DT 990 but was a little out of my budget. One day I hope to give it a shot tho. For now just gonna have to deal with this Schiit, times are hard :p

They most certainly do! Whenever you have some extra cash, look on eBay or here on Head-Fi (although you can probably get a better deal on eBay) for a used MKII or MKIII. It takes patience (I waited about a month), but I got my MKIII off of eBay for $170 including shipping. Then sell that Schiit to make up some of the difference :D

Good luck man, and happy listening 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back