Amp for DT880
Jan 2, 2008 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Abstract

New Head-Fier
Hi

I have a pair of DT880's in the mail that hopefully will land in a few days. However i still havn't decided which amp i want to use and i need some help.

It will be connected to my computer and will play mostly rock and vocals. As i understand from my searchings almost everyone suggests tube amps for these babies. However i also read that Meier-Audio is a good choise..

I'm thinking about Corda Arietta and perhaps the Little Dot MKIII. Both prices are about the same when shipping charges and customs etc. If you suggest any other amp please <250$

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 9
I am one of those who continues to choose Corda amps for dt990, and dt770 converted to Darths. However, the dt880 is a drier-sounding can that responds better to a tube amp. My choice has been ASL MG Head OTL MkIII - WITH NOS tubes (not stock tubes). Most important replacement is dumping stock 12ax7 tube and replace with Raytheon 5751 (or best is Sylvania 5751 Gold Brand/Line Blackplate). There are several 6BQ5 choices eg. Sylvania blackplates amongst USA tubes ......and a raft of choices amongt German/Dutch/English old stock.............then, eventually flip the switch to think of adding a Joe Grado or Alessandro
smily_headphones1.gif
..............and if you have a Corda Prehead - you can plug your ASL directly into its' fourth channel. Pls bite the bullet and save until you can spend aprox. $400 (or more for your first tube amp. Don't buy something too cheap and then blame the 'phone, or you'll be like a hamster on a ferris wheel.

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm using a Xin Reference for my 2003 DT880s. Really blows me away how good they sound together. The Reference is supposed to sound a bit tube like so I am sure that's why they sound so good together. I don't suggest trying to get the Xin as the only amp because it takes so long to get. But if your looking for a portable to go with the DTs I highly recommend it.

Jan 2, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Hmm the thing is im pretty new in this audiophile game, and im afraid of spending 400$ ~ 585$ with shipping and import tax into EU on my first amp. Which is why i like the idea of the the LD MK III that i can see on ebay for 200$ ~comes to about 325$ with taxes and shipping.

And I understand the DT880 kinda sucks with out an amp, so waiting x months doesnt really sound so good to me either :p

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 9
I use Vincent KHV-111 with Sylvania 5751 tube, really love it. I bought it for less than 250$, two dials may be annoying at the beginning but after 2 weeks you don't care any more.

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Get the Corda Opera if you can afford, it is proven as one of the best options for Beyer's can. This amp not only suitable for DT880, but its high compatibility also suitable for many other hi-end headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 9
I would suggest the MF X-Can v3. As it is a tube amp, which can enhance DT880's mid-range. However, it can perform even better if u use the dedicated X-PSU (sold separately) give you a more silent background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back