Amp for DT880 PRO
Aug 21, 2007 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ElephantTLK

100+ Head-Fier
Hi to all. First of all i wanna thanks everyone who helped me at buying right phones in headphone forum. I made a decision and buy a DT880 PRO. Phones will come in a week. What im now looking is right amp.
Now i only have Govibe 5. Im pretty sure that this amp is powerful enough to drive phones but i dont know how would both of them sound together.
Ayway im looking for new amp that will sound great with DT880.
What must amp have is:

- not too much effect on mids (coloured sound)
- boost bass
- must give phones nice warm highs
- price up to 330 $

Any idea?

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 19
Dt880 really need a tube amp to sound as they should. About the best choice in the lower price category for them would be ASL MG HEAD DT OTL MKIII. It can be found new for $400 new. You might find used elsewhere - I haven't seen one on these F.S. pages for quite some time.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 19
Yes that sound interesting...But its over my budget for now. New one is around 400 $ as you said. Im not going over 330$ for now. What else will be good match?

EDIT: little dot II ++ sounds interesting too. Is this good match? Or Little Dot MK III?

What else is good in this price range?

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 19
I would not even consider it..........just do whatever is necessary to reach the $400 - you can if you want to.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 19
Thanks. I was reading a thread "REVIEW AND COMPARISON OF 20 HOME HEADPHONE AMPS" and it seems that it´s a good amp. If there is no other amp for that price i will definitively buy that one. But not now. For now i hope it will be good GoVibe. First i must get extra money for that amp. But its hard to wait.
eggosmile.gif
Well if its worth then i will wait (in pain).
icon10.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not even consider it..........

Hey BushGuy, can you elaborate just a little bit ? I've already seen you making such negative statements about little dot products without any explanations and as I am a new owner of little dot III I'm interested what exactly do you mean ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 19
Well from what i´ve read it lacks of airness in high and midrange. What about Bada PH-12? From what i´ve read is very good amp for that price? But still if anyone got other in mind please post it here!

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 19
No argument, Meier's Corda amp is well known to synergy with Beyer cans.

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 19
Darkvoice is a great match. Mister X can build you something nice too. I am getting a Mini3 this week. If it's better than the XP I got from him previously then it will be the best bang for the buck amp out there.

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 19
I see a whole flock of issues/questions has popped up.

I have nothing at all against the Bada - just you stated a budget and I wanted to suggest an amp worth getting (though you'd want to dump the tubes for better-sounding ones - then it outclasses the review rating you read) and stay as close as possible to that budget figure in the meantime.

While generally, Corda amps are great with Beyers - the exception to that rule IS dt880 - get tubes for goodness there.

FWIW - MisterX is a hobby builder (meaning basically builds other peoples designs and it is not his full time profession) with a very good reputation.

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While generally, Corda amps are great with Beyers - the exception to that rule IS dt880 - get tubes for goodness there.

Not exactly, the Corda Opera I am using is the one with closest tube sounding SS amplifier nowadays, so it works perfect with DT880. It might be true when you are talking the older Corda amps which are not that warmth (but it was changed after the release of Opera which called as new Meier sound).

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 19
You made a blanket statement in your first post, and did not zero in on only the Opera. There are some parallels........to my ears, you could equate the need of woody Grado's and dt880 for tubes. If I hooked up, let's say, Grado RS-2, then dt880 to a Corda Prehead MkII -you wouldn't think many positive thoughts about those combos. But, if you hook both those same headphones to a Xin (lets make it a v.IV) , or an Opera - significantly better results for them. ..............then go to a decent tube amp for both - yup, yet again, better. Broad strokes, but true.

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 19
try the lunchbox II. im using them with stock tubes and im really happy. btw im using them with the 990. upgraded tubes will sound much more nicer i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back