Amp for Denon D2000 (I have EMU 0404)
Feb 9, 2011 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fishz48

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I just joined the hifi world and here is my first post :)

I recently got a EMU 0404 USB and a Denon D2000. Now I am looking for an amp which is under $250. I am assuming it will enhance the SQ a few steps.

I did some research and found out the following options:

1. Little dot I+
2. Music Fidelity V-Can
3. EF1 (I cannot find a place to buy it, and EF5 is too expensive....)

I mainly listen to female voice (mids) and look forward a more warm sound. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 13
Hey fishz48,

I'm using the Schiit Asgard to drive my Denon DH2000 headphone and I'm very pleased with the sound. The synergy between this set of cans and amp is stellar. I have about 50 hours on the amp (60+ on the Denons), and it really opened up around 40 hours. These are extremely well matched.

Mike

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 13
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply!
Does the Schiit Asgard have a warm sound? I am kinda looking for a mix (ss and tube) amp that can make D2000 sound warmer. Also, how about the sibilance of D2000 when you use the amp? Does it go away? Does the mid improve a little bit?  :)

Thank you!

Fisher

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Sorry to be slow responding fishz48 - been away for a bit. To my ears, the Asgard does have a slight bit of warmth. The sibilance does go away with the Asgard as it breaks in (approx. 40+) hours AND when it's up to operating temp. I have about 100 hours on it now, and it'll warm and open up in about a half hour. Very happy with the sound. Mid's seem just a tad recessed - though I suspect that's the Denons.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 13
Thank you for the reply. Just wondering have you had chance to compare it with some tube amp? I heard the tube amp would sound warmer than the ss amp, which is the asgard.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 13
No, I haven't I purchased the Denon's first and then researched for amps that would match well. The 'word on the wire' was to go with amps that drive low imp. cans well, and specifically go solid state with the Denon's. The more clinical drive of an SS amp would play well with the lows put out by the Denon's. Seemed that most tube amps would be too muddy/boomy with these cans. Having said that, I haven't tried any amp with these other than the Asgard so I can't confirm or deny. 

I do find the lows on the Denons to be strong, tight and forceful.

Mike

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #12 of 13
Headphones are Denon D2000, and the dac is the Music Streamer II+. Overall, I've been very happy with this rig. I discovered the decibel player the other day (thanks to a great Head-Fi review) that upped my playback quality another notch.

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 13
I use the FiiO E7/E9 system ($190) and it works great with my Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back