Amp for Denon AH-D5000
Aug 29, 2010 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

loonacy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all I finally stepped up form my Sennheiser HD 280 pro's to Denon AH-D5000 YEAH!!!!!.

Now the question is what amp should i get.  I currently have a PA2V2 and I like it but dont think its enough for the Denon's.  I have been looking at the Little Dot I+ and it seems to be ok and has gotten good reviews.  I dont have a big budget (cause the Denon's took a bite out of my wallet). 

Will the Little Dot I+ be enough or is there anything else out there around $200 (maybe $250)?  I am counting on fellow Head-Fi'ers to help me out here with suggestions.  What about the Schiit Asgard's?

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 10
The Little dot I+ should work, since it was made for low impedance headphones in mind. Hybrids like the EF2A should work well with them too. Cannot say how they work with the asgard (have never owned an asgard), but from their specs, they should work quite well with the high current needs of the D5000.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 10
I recently got the D5000's as well.
So far I do not find these that hard to drive. I have tried them out of the LD MKIII, the Meir Head Five and the ALO Rx. So far I tend to lean towards the Rx although I am going back and forth with the Head Five. I find that the LD MKIII emphasizes the base too much on an already base heavy phone. I may need to play around with the gain on the MK III and try some other tubes (using svetlana drivers).
As a side note I am amazed how good these sound straight out of the sflo2.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 10
My D7000 sounds fantastic with the Audio GD C2 amp - it's a bit out of your price point, but I have heard that the Denon family tends to play nice with the Audio GD house sound in general. Maybe the Sparrow or FUN? If you're also looking for a DAC, that kills two birds with one stone.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 10
I used the Little Dot MK11 and the Matrix with my D7000 and the Matrix is a perfect match and has synergy that my Decware tube amp does not with the D7000. I couldn't recommend the matrix more highly. I sold the Little Dot

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 10
I have been using KICAS solid-state headphone amplifier (regular version about USD 280) to drive Denon D5000 with satisfactory result. To provide high current to low impedance can such as Denon D5000, solid state amplifier such as KICAS or Schiit Asgard is preferred.

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 10
WOW thank you for all the responses.  I have really been looking at Schiit Asgard and am really interested  I primarly use my 32gb Ipod touch using Lossless format to listen to and was wondering if the Asgard would be okay with the Denon ah-d5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back