amp for demos
Jan 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

r_russ08

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on trying out a few audio shops in the coming months to try and get a good listen of multiple cans for a future purchase.  I don't have an amp but would like one in order to get a little better idea or more realistic idea (in the sense I will be using an amp when everything is said and done) of what the headphones are capable of.

I understand many of the headphones I try in the store will not be burned in and there is not one universal amp that will be perfect for every set I try.  What I want is an amp that I can use to bring out and open up the stock sound closer to what I will be listening to in the future because I know my ipod classic is not capable of it.

I'm planning on giving a listen to the HE-300s, HD600s, and the SR325.  I'm hoping to hear HD650s and the HE-500s if I can convince the sales reps to pull them from the shelves.

Is this even a good idea? 
blink.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I'm planning on trying out a few audio shops in the coming months to try and get a good listen of multiple cans for a future purchase.  I don't have an amp but would like one in order to get a little better idea or more realistic idea (in the sense I will be using an amp when everything is said and done) of what the headphones are capable of.

I understand many of the headphones I try in the store will not be burned in and there is not one universal amp that will be perfect for every set I try.  What I want is an amp that I can use to bring out and open up the stock sound closer to what I will be listening to in the future because I know my ipod classic is not capable of it.

I'm planning on giving a listen to the HE-300s, HD600s, and the SR325.  I'm hoping to hear HD650s and the HE-500s if I can convince the sales reps to pull them from the shelves.

Is this even a good idea? 
blink.gif

is what a good idea?  buy an amp just to demo headphones. i don't know... :./ a cheap universal device many would recommend is the FiiO E17 or E11.. i have the E6 and bought the E17..i say what people say on unviersality of fiio is mainly true. but it's up to you i guess

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
is what a good idea?  buy an amp just to demo headphones. i don't know... :./ a cheap universal device many would recommend is the FiiO E17 or E11.. i have the E6 and bought the E17..i say what people say on unviersality of fiio is mainly true. but it's up to you i guess

I was unsure if purchasing an amp just to try a few headphones over the next few weeks would be worth it.  I don't have much experience in the realm of amps so I was unsure.

I did take a closer look at what people are using here and FiiO seems to be very popular, as you reiterated.  Its too bad they don't have distributors in the US.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:

I was unsure if purchasing an amp just to try a few headphones over the next few weeks would be worth it.  I don't have much experience in the realm of amps so I was unsure.

I did take a closer look at what people are using here and FiiO seems to be very popular, as you reiterated.  Its too bad they don't have distributors in the US.

They doo... Fiio is actually the easiest and cheapest to buy in the U.S check fiios page. It has a retailer section. Micca sells them and is official. Amazon also carries them

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks, I didn't know about the micca store.  I was really looking for a B&M store to pick one up quick (sorry I didn't stress that originally).  I might still pick one up but am second guessing myself now as the shop I went to had a couple, Lehmann being one of them.

I knocked off the HD650s and the SR325s off my list last weekend.  The senns were too dark for me.  Very subdued highs being overpowered by the lower end.  I liked the presence of the 325s but felt they were too bright coming out of the Lehmann.  I don't think I could listen to them for extended periods of time.

I did spend a little time with the HD800s and the GS1000s for fun.  I wish I could have listened to them more but ran out of time.  I'm banking on the he500s to bring a big smile to my face when I finally get to give them a shot.  If they don't prove themselves I don't know where I'll turn within that same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back