Amp for Beyerdynamics
Dec 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

joonap

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I'm new to Head-Fi so please treat me gently. :wink:

I'm looking for a good headphone amp for a set of my Beyerdynamics. I own ReVox 3100 (1980's DT880 600 Ohm) and DT990 Pro 250 Ohm. I'm planning on buying the new Beyerdynamic T1 shortly.

Which headphone amp that goes for around 1000 euros and has good availability in Europe would you suggest I give a go for? I do not mind if the amp colours the sound (I prefer it) and it should be easy to listen to without fatigue for an extended period of time. I listen to mostly classical and rock but genre shouldn't be the deciding factor here.

I've been looking at the Lehmann Black Cube Linear USB which seems like a good deal. Any thoughts why this amp is/isn't a good match for Beyers? The amp should drive 600 Ohm without a problem.

Other suggestions?

Thanks for your input!

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 8
I have been using an M^3 Amp with the Sigma 11 power supply for the DT48A, D480, DT100, DT531, and DT990 (80's classic 600 Ohm). In short, I have been immensely pleased with its performance. With a good power supply, the M^3 has no trouble driving the high-impedance headphones. In addition, the subtle changes that can be effected with the 'bass-boost' tone control do a fine job of balancing treble and bass characteristics.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Sounds good, I've been looking at the M^3 before, too. :)

Does anyone happen to know a professional builder in the EU who could deliver such a device?

What about the Lehmann amp? Do you think it's out of the question completely with these headphones? I really like the built-in DAC feature in the Lehmann. (perfect for laptop use)

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm getting a Decware CSP2 for my DT880/600 HPs. Should be here Monday
popcorn.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by joonap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good, I've been looking at the M^3 before, too. :)

Does anyone happen to know a professional builder in the EU who could deliver such a device?

What about the Lehmann amp? Do you think it's out of the question completely with these headphones? I really like the built-in DAC feature in the Lehmann. (perfect for laptop use)

the lehmann amp, black cube linear, right? a friend of mine has it and i was comparing to my darkvoice 337 using dt880 and 990, both 600 ohm. i believe the 337 is a league ahead and i was using only stock tube and power cable at that time.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Yup I was thinking about the Lehmann Black Cube Linear USB with the built-in DAC. I find the Darkvoice interesting and was it not for the size I would probably get it, but I need something more compact that can follow me when I move abroad.

The built-in DAC is also an important factor because I need to keep the system to be easy to move around. It will mostly be a laptop companion. I'll probably get a nice big tube amp for more serious listening later in the future. :wink:

Thanks for your input!

BTW, The Lehmann amp is 950 euros here (inc. tax) which is around 1400 U.S. dollars.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 8
I enjoyed my DT880 very much with the Meier amp Corda Aria I had at the time. So maybe something like the Corda Symphony should be in your thoughts aswell as the BCL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back