Amp for Benchmark DAC1
Dec 27, 2004 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

shoe11

New Head-Fier
My present system consists of:

Rotel RCD-1070 -> Illuminations D-60 -> Benchmark DAC 1 -> Ety ER4-S

I'm thinking about adding a high end amplifier to my system in order to get the most I can get from my Benchmark in terms of clarity, transparency and detail. Given what I have already I'm considering the HeadRoom Max with new Reference Module and Stepped Atten, Ray's amps and the Meiers. I prefer analytical to laid back and I'm interested in what amp(s) other members might recommend to help me get everything that I can out of the Benchmark.

~shoe

Dec 27, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoe11
My present system consists of:

Rotel RCD-1070 -> Illuminations D-60 -> Benchmark DAC 1 -> Ety ER4-S

I'm thinking about adding a high end amplifier to my system in order to get the most I can get from my Benchmark in terms of clarity, transparency and detail. Given what I have already I'm considering the HeadRoom Max with new Reference Module and Stepped Atten, Ray's amps and the Meiers. I prefer analytical to laid back and I'm interested in what amp(s) other members might recommend to help me get everything that I can out of the Benchmark.

~shoe

I'm using a Meier Prehead with the Benchmark.
Honestly, i think the weak link in your chain isn't the amp section.
The Etys themselves are limited in their response to better amps, you might be better off by investing into better IEMs or full-size cans instead of purchasing an über-amp.

Dec 27, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
I'm using a Meier Prehead with the Benchmark.
Honestly, i think the weak link in your chain isn't the amp section.
The Etys themselves are limited in their response to better amps, you might be better off by investing into better IEMs or full-size cans instead of purchasing an über-amp.

A headphone change has been a serious consideration of mine as well, however:

1. I really enjoy the Ety sound
2. I much prefer IEM's to fullsize cans.
3. From what I've read going from Etys to UE10's may be hard to justify from a cost/benefit standpoint.

~shoe

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 20
i had the benchie + prehead combo and IMO the prehead was a significant upgrade over the benchie amp out. anyway i think you should get a pair of sennheisers hd650s before thinking about a new amp...

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

3. From what I've read going from Etys to UE10's may be hard to justify from a cost/benefit standpoint.

~shoe

From what I've read the difference between the Etys and the Ues or Sensas is anything but subtle, but who knows whether the reviewers are exaggerating or not.
What I know exactly is that the difference between the already good Benchmark amp section and several SS amps in the 700 - 1500 $ range is subtle in regard to the Etys, and therefor IMO it's even harder to justify an investment in this direction.

Dec 27, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks for the comments everyone....

As for the senns, I have the HD600 w/Cardas already. The Ety sound is much more to my liking. I understand that the 650's were significantly changed, but I much prefer IEM's especially as I use them 2-3 hours a day at work and commuting.

I've been interested in the UE-10's since the first member reviews of them. Perhaps I could go for a pair of those and an amp at the same time. From what I've read the Meier amps might be to my liking, but I really don't need the additional preamp functionality of the Prehead. Perhaps the CORDA HA-2 MkII SE????

~shoe

Dec 28, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 20
shoe, do you find your current combination bright? I find the ER4-S bright, and find the headphone jack on the DAC1 bright. The combination would leave me bleeding.

You can do much better than the DAC1's headphone out. I suspect a Meier amp could be a great choice for you -- I used a HA-2 with the DAC1 and ER4P, and the combination sounded good -- great speed and detail. I sold the HA-2 only because it sounded a little too analytical for my tastes, but that might be just what you're looking for.

Dec 28, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
What I know exactly is that the difference between the already good Benchmark amp section and several SS amps in the 700 - 1500 $ range is subtle in regard to the Etys, and therefor IMO it's even harder to justify an investment in this direction.

I would disagree. I think the benchmark headphone out section isn't that great. Even comparing it to my Maxed PPA I had in the past, it was not a subtle difference. It was night a day and the PPA was significantly better. Keep in mind that this is the headphone out I'm talking about, not the balanced XLR out. A dynahi might be something to consider. I really enjoyed the Benchmark -> Dynahi -> Er4s combo. But the so called brightness doesn't seem to bother me.

Dec 28, 2004 at 10:16 AM Post #10 of 20
You may find your HD600s much more to your liking once you have upgraded your amp. I love my Etys when I'm in a plane but at home w/ my HR-2 the Senns rule.
CPW

Dec 28, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 20
I guess I just really enjoy a neutral to bright sound setup. When using the HD600's with the DAC1, the sound is smooth, but also somewhat muted to me. Now if I had no other headphone choices in the world, I could live rather happily with the Senns, but every time I listen to them I keep wishing the "veil' could be lifted. Once I put the Ety's on, the "veil" is gone and the sound is crystal clear. The Ety's just provide the right sound to my ears. I've listened extensively to the Senns in hoping they would become over time more to my ears liking, but it just hasn't happened.

~shoe

Dec 28, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 20
The Benchmark is a nice headphone amp in itself (I have one too). Your money is spread out over three pieces. Have you thought about this: a headphone amp and an upgraded CD player (selling the Benchmark and putting the money into upgrading the CD player)? You'll also save one cable in the process too!

Dec 28, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 20
Trevorlane, Sorry, but I can't answer that question. My preamp only accepts balanced inputs, so any RCAs running out of my Benchmark would have to go through a RCA/XLR adaptor, which wouldnt' make it a fair comparison.

In general, though, balanced connections are better if your system allows for that, or if you're using long interconnects. It's a LOUDER signal too.

Dec 28, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

A headphone change has been a serious consideration of mine as well, however:

1. I really enjoy the Ety sound
2. I much prefer IEM's to fullsize cans.

~shoe

I'd definitley recommend getting the UE10s. If you like the Ety sound, they are like Etys on steroids.

Are they worth the price difference?....I think that once you get to a certain level the cost/benefit ratio kind of goes out the window. To me, yes they are worth it. Very comfortable and a killer sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back