Amp for Benchmark DAC1
Dec 29, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #17 of 20
Trevorlane, XLR cables cost a bit more than RCAs, and for components that have RCA outs, you'll have to buy RCA/XLR adaptors. People like the ones that Balanced Audio Technology sells, but they're not cheap. Just some hidden costs of going balanced. You also do better with an all balanced system if you go that way.

I think conventional wisdom would say, XLRs are better than RCAs, all else being equal, but you should really shop with an eye on the component not the connectors. The output jack type won't change the fundamental sound of the component. Hope that helps.

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #18 of 20
yeah i haven't had a whole lot of experience with XLR cables other than using them for mics and guitars. in fact i didn't even know you could use them for headphone cables, but it seems that most high end amps use them. i guess cost definitely does not equal increase in sound quality.

Dec 29, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane
in fact i didn't even know you could use them for headphone cables, but it seems that most high end amps use them.

In fact balanced inputs are rare, and balanced output is even rarer since except the AKG K1000 and the electrostatic Staxes there is no stock balanced headphone available, you'd have to recable your cans for balanced operation.
And OT, but I can't resist.
Inter arma enim silent leges, "In time of war, the law falls silent", is originally referring to some disgusting roman practices like raping the enemies' wifes, crucifying,torturing, killing prisoners of war, eradicating whole tribes including children and so on.
I hope you are just historically challenged and that you are not suggesting that the American Empire should behave this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back