Amp for ATH W100s
May 13, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 16
Will the amp be hooked up to the PCDP you mentioned in one of you other threads? If so, don't get an amp. The amp will only amplify the already bad source.

If you will be using a better source, I will be able to tell you how the ATH-W100's sound with a JMT CHA-47 amp when I get it . . .

May 13, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
Will the amp be hooked up to the PCDP you mentioned in one of you other threads? If so, don't get an amp. The amp will only amplify the already bad source.

If you will be using a better source, I will be able to tell you how the ATH-W100's sound with a JMT CHA-47 amp when I get it . . .

I don't have any other sources. The only other source I have is a boombox that cost around 90 dollars.

May 13, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 16
This is as if you bought a Ferrari engine and are trying to put it in a Hyundai. Or like trying to hook up a plasma screen display to an original IBM PC.

My suggestions are (1) sell the ATH-W100 and get yourself a pair of Grado SR-60s until you have money to get some real equipment, (2) put the ATH-W100 away until you get some real money, (3) by a Sony D-25s from Silicon Salvage, with an AC Adapter from Radio Shack. At least with #3 you'll have good sound and enough power for the AT cans. Do a search on D-25s.

May 13, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 16
My W100 sounds good hooked straight up to the headphone jack of my CD and MD! players. Of course they sound even better hooked up to a Sugden Headmaster amplifier but I can't help but to think your source is the weak link here.

JML's third suggestion sounds like a good solution for you. Those Sony D-25s are supposed to fine little units and they go for cheap on ebay. Be sure to research what you're getting with the Sony - they don't come with a power adapter, no battery (which is very expensive if you want to go portable with it). Or, If you can find a deal on the Panasonic CT-570 PCDP it will also drive your headphones fine and sounds good. then you won't have to worry about weird batteries and adapters and can use it portably without skipping too. Cheers.

May 13, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by hokiefritz
My W100 sounds good hooked straight up to the headphone jack of my CD and MD! players. Of course they sound even better hooked up to a Sugden Headmaster amplifier but I can't help but to think your source is the weak link here.

JML's third suggestion sounds like a good solution for you. Those Sony D-25s are supposed to fine little units and they go for cheap on ebay. Be sure to research what you're getting with the Sony - they don't come with a power adapter, no battery (which is very expensive if you want to go portable with it). Or, If you can find a deal on the Panasonic CT-570 PCDP it will also drive your headphones fine and sounds good. then you won't have to worry about weird batteries and adapters and can use it portably without skipping too. Cheers.

Why don't I just bring the 100s back and just get the 250-80 from beyerdynamic. Those are supposed to sound above average with todays portables. By the way I don't know if it matters but the discman I am using is a steady sound skip protection from Sony that was manufactured in September 1999. I do not know if those sound better than todays new wretched G protection sony discman or not?

May 13, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 16
Seems to me you don't understand our points. The W100 and the Beyers are both excellent headphones. But they will sound like **** if the source is ****. The W100 and the Beyer are not extraordinarily demanding. My W100 sounds great on any portable I own. And a Sony V6 sounds pretty much the same on any source I own.

Seems to me that the problem is the source you're using, not the headphones. Even a Grado SR-60 would leave you in the same position -- it's probably also more revealing of what you have.

Sept. 1999 does not mean it's old. The D-25S is much older.

May 13, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
Seems to me you don't understand our points. The W100 and the Beyers are both excellent headphones. But they will sound like **** if the source is ****. The W100 and the Beyer are not extraordinarily demanding. My W100 sounds great on any portable I own. And a Sony V6 sounds pretty much the same on any source I own.

Seems to me that the problem is the source you're using, not the headphones. Even a Grado SR-60 would leave you in the same position -- it's probably also more revealing of what you have.

Sept. 1999 does not mean it's old. The D-25S is much older.

Well tell me what kind of portables you own so I can get a good idea on what protables to look out for.

May 13, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 16
Matt, each person on Head-Fi has a profile that can contain a list of the equipment he or she owns.

I recommended the D-25S because I own one, based on the review I read on Head-Fi. It's the only PCDP I have; my son's two have been junk. I have two portable cassette machines and one radio. It was a $350 unit when released, it costs you $45 from Silicon Salvage, and you buy an AC Adapter at the mall for $20. You can't run around with it, but if you want to put it on your desk, you won't find something close to it for the money.

The other one recommended to you, the Panasonic, has been consistently high on people's lists.

May 13, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
Matt, each person on Head-Fi has a profile that can contain a list of the equipment he or she owns.

I recommended the D-25S because I own one, based on the review I read on Head-Fi. It's the only PCDP I have; my son's two have been junk. I have two portable cassette machines and one radio. It was a $350 unit when released, it costs you $45 from Silicon Salvage, and you buy an AC Adapter at the mall for $20. You can't run around with it, but if you want to put it on your desk, you won't find something close to it for the money.

The other one recommended to you, the Panasonic, has been consistently high on people's lists.

Thanks. I am really considering the D-25s as a good choice or mayby the Panasonic. Considering that they are very highly recommended. How long will batteries work in the D-25s?

May 13, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Use the search function, kiddo. The battery in the Sony is an antique lead-acid battery that costs $30+ and is currently on back order (per another thread). It doesn't last very long at all -- maybe two hours. It doesn't sound as good via the battery.

If battery life is important to you, go for the Panasonic and later on buy high-quality NiMH batteries and a fast smart charger.

Most portables sound better with an AC adapter. But then they're not portables.

If portable means walking around and listening, get the Panasonic.

But if you want something to go with you and sit on the desk at home or school, where you can plug into the wall, get the Sony and a small RS adapter (again, see the threads). I wasn't focusing on the walking around bit because I cannot ever see the W100 as a portable unit! It's too damn big, and too beautiful to schelp around where it could be harmed.

May 14, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 16
An amp makes ANY source sound better. Don't let these know it alls fool you..
biggrin.gif

Before yesterday I was plugging my amp into the headphone amp of my crappy portable player. It gives a higher noice floor then using a line out (I kept player at low volume and amp at 3/4) but the sound was much better then without the amp, and pretty close to the sound of my 570 through it's lineout.

Of course if I had w100, I would not be using them with my potable setup because portables are not worthy of those phones. :p

Biggie.

May 14, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 16
May 14, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Blighty
Maybe he could pick up a used full-size CD player from eBay that has an above-average headphone out jack? That way you could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. At least until you have extra cash to upgrade to a dedicated headamp.

Take a look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1351003637

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1352443552

Or if you can spend a bit more, pick up a used Marantz CD6000OSE which has a pretty clean headphone jack.

Thanks. How much does the Marantz go for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back