Amp for AKG K601 - $200-$400 range
Mar 28, 2007 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ginman

New Head-Fier
Any recommendations for a good amp (new or used) in the $200-$400 price range to go with the AKG K601 headphones? I have a Denon 3805 receiver; I'm looking for something that would improve on the standard headphone output.

I listen to a variety of music (and movies) and would primarily use this in a home setup.

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 16
I have the same question. I just ordered some K601s myself. How does the Denon sound? I will be using the headphone jack of my 5700 for now. I am considering a Total Bithead from Headroom, Gilmore lite, or the new Headphonia. Any opinions on any of these with the 601s?
340smile.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 16
I just received my K601s today. I'm very happy with them so far, but I expect that with some break-in they will sound even better. Connecting these directly to the Denon 3805 headphone output works pretty well (when the volume is cranked up high), but I expect more with a dedicated amp. I have never listened to good headphones paired with a dedicated amp, so I'm not sure what to expect in the $200-$400 price range. One though I had was to buy a decent small amp for around $200-$300 now and then trade up later when I have a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 16
The Gilmore Lite provides a great synergy with the K601, helps give it some extra balance. However, synergy is preferential, and you didn't state what you like about the K601. You might even like a tube amp with it, who knows?

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 16
I have listened to the 701 not 601, with my x-can v3 and I thought it was a BIG improvement to the HP out on my Rotel, and the x-can wasn't even burned in then, it has gotten a lot better over time, especially the soundstage, because the x-can is a hybrid you can change tubes if you want to change sound.

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 16
I don't own 601's but I will say that I have never heard a good headphone out from a standard receiver yet. You need some sort of headphone amp to get good sound. Maybe build a SOHA or buy one from someone. They are pretty good little amps.

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for all the replies.

And to Asr's comment: I like the natural sound and the perception of a bigger sound with the K601s. I know that sounds somewhat generic, but that's what convinced me to get these.

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 16
Even though I am still an amateur here at head-fi, this may be one topic I am quasi-qualified to comment on.
If the K601 is anything like the K701 a popular amp, and the one I'm using with fabulous results, is the Doge 6210 SET tube amp. This amp seams to match perfectly with the K701's, according to the other owners of both. Check out the Doge 6210 thread in "headphone amps", there is alot of info available and a pretty strong following.
Good Luck!

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ginman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies.

And to Asr's comment: I like the natural sound and the perception of a bigger sound with the K601s. I know that sounds somewhat generic, but that's what convinced me to get these.

Have you read the giant thread on the Heed CanAmp?
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you read the giant thread on the Heed CanAmp?
tongue.gif

Some of it! The Heed does look like a good option. I'm leaning towards the Heed or the Gilmore Lite. These both seem like popular choices.

Any comments on using the Gilmore Lite with or without the dedicated PSU?

Mar 30, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm a big fan of the DIY amps, over commercial offerings. IMHO the DIY amps from reputable builders can be just as reliable and offer a LOT more sonic bang for your $$$. Of course you loose out on that "bling" factor that you get from a commercial product.

M^3 for a forward, dynamic and warm sound.

PPA for a more "dry", open, spatious and airy signature. Get one with a bass boost for added warmth. The PPA bass boost is unlike any I have heard, in that it adds a sense of surround and ambience to the bass. Its not the typical night-club, thumpy dumpy kind of bass boost, although it will certainly do that if the recorded material calls for it.

A Pimeta can be a stunning performer, IMHO the pimeta is like a less refined M^3.

Millet hybrid. Tube warmth without most of the tube hastle. Solid state hybrid reliability and speed / detail resolution.

If you get an amp with socketed OP amps you can really fine tune the sound to your liking.

Surf around the F/S forum, the recent surge of sub-$200 porta-amps have slowed down the mid-fi DIY amp sales.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.soundstage.com/allinyourh...head200605.htm

Check this out. Under $200, seperate power supply (and not just a wallwart either). It matches up perfectly witht he K601's. I love the combination.

I looked at the Original Master. Seems like a great value at that price! I may consider it if I don't find something else soon. The Gilmore Lite and the Heed seem to have 4-6+ weeks delivery estimates for new units! Not sure if I can wait that long, so I'm checking out used deals and other options. A DIY amp is not out of the question either, but I would likely buy something else first and do more research in that area before deciding which way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back