Amp for AKG K601 - $200-$400 range
Mar 31, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ginman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at the Original Master. Seems like a great value at that price! I may consider it if I don't find something else soon. The Gilmore Lite and the Heed seem to have 4-6+ weeks delivery estimates for new units! Not sure if I can wait that long, so I'm checking out used deals and other options. A DIY amp is not out of the question either, but I would likely buy something else first and do more research in that area before deciding which way to go.

I'd strongly suggest getting the Master - especially at its price. After listening to it, try some others too (that's always a good idea). But I'll bet you find the Master is more than good enough to live with long-haul. Plus you can spend all that extra money you'll save not buying something else on new muisc to listen to through your K601/Master setup.

The Master mates so well with the K601's it's uncanny. All of its strenghts play to the - and I use this term loosely - weaknesses of the K601's to make a well rounded sound. As a planer speaker guy I find the Master/K601 combo to reproduce sound in the same manner - coherent, evenly balanced and tonally neutral. It's played any type of music I've tried, from Mozart to Monk to Frank Zappa with aplomb. I don't know how they can get all this good sound for $200. To me, it's a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back