Amp for a Grado SR-60?
Jun 22, 2003 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Slycks

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, new to the forums here. I've done some searching around but can't find any recommendations for the Grado SR-60. I know they're good unamped, but will an amp improve them much? (my sources include pcdp, computer soundcard, home stereo, mp3 player) I'm looking for a decent amp that might be used with other headphones like the KSC-35 or if I upgrado. As far as I can tell, people recommend the CHA-47 for Grados, are there any others to consider? Where can I buy them? Thanks in advance! Oh and feel free to flame away if I said something stupid, still learning.

Jun 22, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 19
IMO adding an amp will not greatly improve the SR60.
But an amp makes some serious difference for the SR80.
It's a good news I think, you can spent your money somewhere else
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe a pair of SR80
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 19
buy your amp later when you have headphones that are harder to drive.

the grado sr60 and the koss you mentiones are good laready with no amp - just out of a portable.

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 19
Holy crap, I plugged my sr60's into my dad's carver receiver and it was like listening to a different pair of headphones, they sounded sooo much better!!! That must mean my sources really really stink (rio 500 mp3 player, soundblaster live, panasonic cd player). Are you guys sure an amp wouldn't help? I'd carry around my dad's stereo to get the awesome sound, but it's kind of heavy and nonportable
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 19
Well, I'd say that you should get a good source first. My amp definitely helped my HD600s when it arrived, but it didn't improve the sound of the cheap Sony headphones that came with a walkman years ago... (Well, the sound DID improve, but not in a way making it worth the 400-500 dollars.) Well, good luck!
600smile.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 19
Plugging my sr60s into my amp, I notice a difference, but not one that I would consider worth the price of the amp. I also mostly use my sr60s for portable use though. The biggest difference in sound you heard is probably because your father's receiver is hooked up to a better sounding cd player. Also, some receivers tend to have pretty decent headphone outs, so maybe your father's is one of them.

Jun 25, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 19
I'm not sure what you should or should not do but all I know is when I got my Gilmore V2 amp my SR-60's, which I was running off my computer's output before, sounded substantially better all around. But then again it's a $500 amp and perhaps paired with cheap(er) amps the difference may not be as profound, I don't know.

Jun 25, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 19
Is it just me or is it hard to distinguish amps and changes with systems with the SR-60s? It was hard to distinguish from the Mint with AD8620 and stacked buffers and the A47 with buffered power supply and 2 OPA2132Ps, though the mint was an improvement in all areas. I think it could possibly be that my batteries are VERY flat right now. (around 6vs and some clipping)

Jun 25, 2003 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 19
I think I'm going to hold off on the amp for some time. I don't know why, but I'm just itching to buy one. Actually, when I bought my SR-60's I figured it was a one time thing, and now I want to upgrade. Damn this forum, it's costing me my money!!

Jun 25, 2003 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 19
SR60 works pretty well indeed without an amp as long as your sources give out a decent amount of power. I have a Sony D-FJ401 pcdp and the difference isn't that big from the headphone out compared to line out through my AD8620 Meta42 amp. I've got another pair of headphones (CD1700) that improves considerably more with the Meta42.

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 19
Slycks-

If you are itching to buy/build an amp, don't be totally discouraged. You have been hit by the upgrade bug... happens to all of us. You now want new cans and an amp. Perhaps check eBay for cans, and you might be able to find SR-125 for the same price as SR-80. Then, you can build yourself a darn decent CMOY for under $20 (probably). (use Mouser- not Digi-Key- and use cheaper parts that are still pretty good) That would get you going for a while until you felt that you should spring for an A47 or META, etc.

Jun 27, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 19
With a v2 supermini I found that it did do some good with my KSC35's, but with a quick first impression I could not discern any difference using it with the SR60's. I don't think it's that powerful of an amplifier, however~ it's having problems powering my HD580's out of my iPod.

Jun 29, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 19
The Ear+ does great things with the sr-125 and made a giant difference with ksc-35's, though it seems a little strange to pair 35$ portables with a 300$ tube amp and I'm sure that's a little more than you'd want to spend on a sr-60 amp. If not, then that'd be a good one.

Jun 30, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back