Amp for a Grado SR-60?
Jul 2, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Slycks
Holy crap, I plugged my sr60's into my dad's carver receiver and it was like listening to a different pair of headphones, they sounded sooo much better!!! That must mean my sources really really stink (rio 500 mp3 player, soundblaster live, panasonic cd player). Are you guys sure an amp wouldn't help? I'd carry around my dad's stereo to get the awesome sound, but it's kind of heavy and nonportable
tongue.gif

Your sources stink, and yes an amp would help. If anyone says it won't, they're a crackhead. I've been listening out of my SCD-CE775's headphone jack today since my amp's battery died. Well, I just found a 9v, popped it in my portable META42, and hooked it up to my main rig with the SR60's. WOOOO, now it's making music!!! The clarity, bass, treble, detail, punchiness, everything improved and the sound really opened up. I really hate going unamped with anything anymore. I'm spoiled by this amp
tongue.gif
Nothing like a little time away from it to make me appreciate it more...

Sure you can say SR60's are only 32 ohms, they doesn't need an amp. Well, all phones need an amp, and it just happens that the ones inside PCDPs and CDPs like mine veritably suck. Invest in a cheap META, it won't disappoint you. I'm sure that'd give you the sound your dad's receiver did but on the go.

Jul 2, 2003 at 9:33 AM Post #18 of 19
Wow thanks for all the replies, I completely forgot to check up on this thread. I was considering the Meta actually, but I'm not sure where I should begin looking? Should I build the thing myself or commission someone else to do it (this would be my first time building an amp). Thanks

Jul 2, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #19 of 19
build it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back