AMP/DAC/Sound Card help for DT990-600ohms
Dec 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LimaTime

New Head-Fier
I'm currently thinking about picking up the DT990-600ohms headphones, and being my first plunge into the world of higher quality headphones (I'm currently using a $20 pair right now) I was looking to get the best available headphone amp/dac. I'm a total beginner, and have been talking to other people and looking around this site at different reviews, and I've found a couple that look promising, so I'm looking for some input from you. I'm currently looking at the $150-$250 range.

Here are some that I've seen to be mentioned here and there:

[size=1.4em] ASUS Xonar Essence STX: [/size]

Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1: http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1

So does anyone have any input on which is better, or should I be looking for something else besides these two? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 5
I've been told that combo isn't powerful enough for these cans. ^

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I've been told that combo isn't powerful enough for these cans. ^

By whom?  Arguably the E10 by itself is enough, but that really depends on how loud you listen.  Particularly with louder, more compressed recordings (almost everything these days except some classical and jazz albums), E10 is probably fine, never mind the E9.

As for whether or not that makes a good combo, that's up for you to decide.  Personally I'd just get the E10 and forget about the E9 unless it turns out the E10 by itself is somehow unsatisfactory for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back