AMP/DAC recommendations for HD6XX (HD650) for PC use
Dec 2, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #31 of 50
This entirely different depending on the PC.

Most computers will have USB 2 and 3 ports. Many have also used the Modi 2 with USB 3 with success. Windows 10 works fine with Modi.

Even still, the Multibit is $150 more than the Modi 2 when you could get a powered USB hub for under $10. Otherwise you also have the Modi 2 Uber option at only $50 more.

Sure, it depends on the PC or it would be a much larger issue and would be fixed by now.  But do you want to roll the dice?  Some people get it to work with powered hubs, some non-powered, some by switching USB ports.  I don't have full functionality on my desktop no matter how I connect.  Bottom line is they are flaky.  It perfectly on my Surface pro 3 at 24/96, but that's not what I bought it for.  My desktop doesn't find it no matter what USB port I use out of the 8 I have...  This is the only device I've ever had trouble connecting to this system.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/776100/windows-10-schiit-modi-drivers/45
Here's a thread with quite a few other people who had issues: 

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #32 of 50
WOW, I should probably thank you for for contesting me on that... I just realized after posting that there were two USB 3.0 plugs I didn't try and those 2, only those 2 on my whole system work hahaha 
redface.gif
 SO happy I have it working properly.

BTW it isn't detected at all on my 2.0 ports.  My other 3.0 ports give an unrecognized USB device/ device failed error.

...And now it stopped working again.  Just gives a "USB Device not Recognized" error from the same USB port that worked for the last 2 days.  Don't buy a Modi 
mad.gif

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #34 of 50
  Buy schiit wyrd, it will help you

Buy a $100 USB hub for my $100 DAC just to make it work properly? No thanks.  I'd rather spend a bit more and get a multibit.  Or an ODAC or something...

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #35 of 50
  Buy a $100 USB hub for my $100 DAC just to make it work properly? No thanks.  I'd rather spend a bit more and get a multibit.  Or an ODAC or something...

The one reason for getting the Wyrd with the Jotunheim+DAC is to get a balanced analogue signal from the output stage of the JotDAC all the way through to the headphone or active speakers' amplifier (via the preamp), so that one isn't as unreasonable as it seems.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #36 of 50
The one reason for getting the Wyrd with the Jotunheim+DAC is to get a balanced analogue signal from the output stage of the JotDAC all the way through to the headphone or active speakers' amplifier (via the preamp), so that one isn't as unreasonable as it seems.
oh I'm not saying it is a waste of money. But to use it to make the Modi function properly would be.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #37 of 50
The O2 is a terrible pairing for the 650/6xx. The e10k is only slightly better than a decent computers onboard sound. Fine if your on an absolute budget, but I wouldn't generally recommend it.

Modi 2/Magni 2 is the best options on your list currently.

You do not need the Ubers unless you need the extra connections they provide.
modi 2 + magni 2 VS jotun with DAC module??? Thanks

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #39 of 50
Chord Mojo is a great all-in-one option. Don't know about it's price in AUD though.

I know a lot of people like tubes with their HD6xx, but I haven't had the chance to pair them yet.

Maybe a Gustard H10 or one of the Teac all-in-ones? Just some options aside from the ones already mentioned.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #40 of 50
Hey guys, I was looking for some dac and amp recommendations to suit the HD6XX and DT990 Premium headphones.

I currently own the HD6XX and absolutely love them but have been using them since I got them with no dedicated dac or amp (just connected to my pc). I don't own the DT990s yet but looking to order a pair to have a more "fun" pair of headphones for bass-heavy genres or certain games. Would these be a good choice to fit that requirement?

Looking for a dac/amp combo is really intimidating because I'm not sure how much power I need at around the 300ohm mark to be enough for the headphones and dac quality seems to vary a lot.

I was looking into a few different options and I'm also hoping I could get some recommendations and opinions. My current options are:

Schiit Magni 3/Modi 2
Burson Play (with the Burson Play, I'm not sure how the different opamps like the V5 and V6 effect it)
Aune X1s 10th Anniversary
Matrix M-Stage HPA-3

I'm more than happy to consider alternatives and would welcome any input. I'll be using the setup exclusive at my desk and won't be used a balanced cable. Thanks in advice for the help

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #41 of 50
I have an audio gd nfb11 i like alot, i use it with a breeze duu8 for optical, got it used for $70, and a topaz 91092-12 for $80.
Nice clean powerful sound.

Other options:
topping d30 or dx7
Jds labs element
Teac
cambridge audio

And you can watch usaudiomart etc for used items at good prices

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #42 of 50
For the headphones ive definately heard the dt990s described as having good bass.

It's tough to suggest headphones, so many options.

I use hifiman he400is with the nfb11 rig. I use em with velour brainwavz pads and some polyfill to space em further from the head, they get better sub bass from the distance and bass from the velour pads. These headphones are very bright though and need eq.

On my main rig aside from hd6xxs i use audeze el8s with dekoni lcd velour pads, skull rattling subbass. Slightly bright but not uncomfortable, very detailed to 20khz. Also have a pair of mrspeakers alpha primes, these are pretty flat and neutral, great sounding. The planars respond well to eq.

Checkout innerfidelity measurements to get a decent idea of what some cans will sound like.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #44 of 50
How good is Bravo Ocean with HD650?
The Bravo Ocean is really (IMHO) the best value, for a $80 tube headphone amplifier, for driving the 300-Ohm HD650.
But I think the Schiit Vali 2 ($150) or Darkvoice 336SE tube amp ($250) is really minimum you should spend, for a tube amp for driving Sennheiser 300-Ohm headphones.
Some have said the BottleHead Crack tube amp ($414), is great for driving the HD650 (& HD600).

For $80, you can try the Bravo Ocean, if it's good enough for you, cool.
If you do not think it's good enough, sell it off.

I ended up buying the Massdrop/Sennheiser 150-Ohm HD58X :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #45 of 50
The Bravo Ocean is really (IMHO) the best value, for a $80 tube headphone amplifier, for driving the 300-Ohm HD650.
But I think the Schiit Vali 2 ($150) or Darkvoice 336SE tube amp ($250) is really minimum you should spend, for a tube amp for driving Sennheiser 300-Ohm headphones.
Some have said the BottleHead Crack tube amp ($414), is great for driving the HD650 (& HD600).

For $80, you can try the Bravo Ocean, if it's good enough for you, cool.
If you do not think it's good enough, sell it off.

I ended up buying the Massdrop/Sennheiser 150-Ohm HD58X :)

Thank you for the reply. Yes I am thinking of getting bravo ocean because i can easily buy it off the eBay for cheap. Right now I am powering my hd650 with a super cheap 5$ USB dac with a pcm2704 chip connected to my xiaomi redmi via otg cable because phone itself wasn't loud enough. But this little ultra cheap dac drives it acceptably. It sounds pretty ok for what it is.

My quesrion is rather a stupid one though.

How good is good enough? Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back