AMP/DAC recommendations for HD6XX (HD650) for PC use
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #46 of 50
JDS Labs "The Element"
Schiit "Jotunheim"
SMSL M7
Aune S6 or S7
Fostex HPA4 or HPA4BL(balanced)

600$ is a very good budget theres lots of choices.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #47 of 50
Thank you for the reply. Yes I am thinking of getting bravo ocean because i can easily buy it off the eBay for cheap. Right now I am powering my HD650 with a super cheap 5$ USB DAC with a PCM2704 chip connected to my Xiaomi Redmi via otg cable because phone itself wasn't loud enough. But this little ultra cheap DAC drives it acceptably. It sounds pretty ok for what it is.
My question is rather a stupid one though.
How good is good enough? Lol.
Do you know the make and model number of the $5 USB DAC?
I like that PCM2704 DAC chip, it's only a 16-bit/44K DAC, which is all you really need for CD-Audio or any MP3 audio file and the vast majority of FLAC audio files.
The ELE EL-D01 DAC comes with the PCM2704 DAC chip and sells for under $20 :)

Anyway, get the Bravo Ocean, it should improve the HD650 audio quality, over your current setup.

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #48 of 50
Do you know the make and model number of the $5 USB DAC?
I like that PCM2704 DAC chip, it's only a 16-bit/44K DAC, which is all you really need for CD-Audio or any MP3 audio file and the vast majority of FLAC audio files.
The ELE EL-D01 DAC comes with the PCM2704 DAC chip and sells for under $20 :)

Anyway, get the Bravo Ocean, it should improve the HD650 audio quality, over your current setup.

This is the one. It is funny how it manages to pull the HD650 without any external power source. Without it, HD650 is unusable with my xiaomi redmi note 5Ai. I was also thinking the same, I am not saying this is the best but it is something better than nothing. I heard of ELE EL dac and it probably has the same thing inside. I recently ordered venture electronics odyssey 10$ dac thing off their site and waiting for it to arrive just to see how it may sound like.

I am also thinking the same, bravo ocean will be good enough for me, if I could pair it up with a good dac.

Screenshot_2018-10-02-11-54-55-275_com.ebay.mobile.png

Oct 2, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #49 of 50
A Dac chip is only half of the equation to me the Analog part is just as or more important to the sound from a Dac. You can have the best dac chip on the planet and a crappy analog output section and it will sound crappy. The Little Dac runs them because it is putting out a line signal of that would go to a amp. There are some here that only use a dac and adapters to run headphones straight from a dac and use the computer volume to control the volume out of the dac. For the 650’s I love them from a Bottlehead Crack they are just made for each other another one is a Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid. You said what is good enough the one thing about the 650’s is they scale well meaning they do sound better with better equipment. Doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot of money on them to enjoy them but they can sound better with better gear how much better that would be up to you to decide. Just my option and YMMV.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #50 of 50
For the time being i am using this little amplifier from another dimension to power up the HD650. I don't know if it's good or bad but it sounds pretty good for the ears, far better than any other device i have. This is not really a headphone amplifier, but it does have a headphone out. Miraculously it works with HD650 without any noise or distortion. It never worked with my other lower impedance IEM's and Headphones before. Anyways if you have seen this amp anywhere else before, please let me know because i searched the internet upside down looking for any kind of information about this device and i found none. even on their official given pages, there is none.

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

small3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back