AMP/DAC recommendations for HD6XX (HD650) for PC use
Nov 8, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 50
  Hey guys I'm looking for an AMP and DAC to power the HD6XX (essentially HD650) and don't really know where to start looking. I know there's quite a lot of threads on this but a lot of them are many years old and I thought some newer AMP/DAC combos might be better value. I'm looking for probably the cheapest combo to power these comfortably (Ideally under $200 or $300). I'm moving from M50 > DT770 > HD6XX so atm I had no AMP or DAC to power the DT770s and it's going to be a big change going from closed to open back headphones. These will only be used at home and connected to my PC so I'll need the AMP/DAC to easily be connectable. I live in Australia btw so pricing/shipping can be a bit ridiculous.

​Burson Audio is in Australia. Alternately, you can get Meier (if at least the amp, like the Jazz - their only matching DAC is for the TOTL amp chassis and price) - the prices on the website include worldwide shipping. The only thing you need to worry about is if Customs will charge any import duties on a single item.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #17 of 50
There is a lot of good info about this in the hd 650 thread.

Nov 25, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 50
Okay so now I'm about to buy the amp these are realistic options

FiiO E10k - $100 AUD from local store

Schiit Modi 2 and Magni 2 - $330 AUD including shipping direct from Schiit 

Mayflower O2/ODAC - $325 AUD or $355 AUD including shipping (depending on priority of shipping) direct from Mayflower (or $359 AUD from a local store in Australia currently on sale from $449)

JDS Labs O2/ODAC - $420 AUD (imported or local work out the same)

Which of these (or any other I'm open to all recommendations) would be the best value for money? They'll be purely used on my desk connected to my PC. My Budget is around $400 AUD but lower is better if it will drive the HD6XX comfortably. Also if you are going to recommend the Schiit stack, do I need the ubers for my situation?

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #19 of 50

Mayflower O2/ODAC - $325 AUD or $355 AUD including shipping (depending on priority of shipping) direct from Mayflower (or $359 AUD from a local store in Australia currently on sale from $449)

Which of these (or any other I'm open to all recommendations) would be the best value for money? They'll be purely used on my desk connected to my PC. My Budget is around $400 AUD but lower is better if it will drive the HD6XX comfortably. Also if you are going to recommend the Schiit stack, do I need the ubers for my situation?

Thanks!

The O2 is a terrible pairing for the 650/6xx. The e10k is only slightly better than a decent computers onboard sound. Fine if your on an absolute budget, but I wouldn't generally recommend it.

Modi 2/Magni 2 is the best options on your list currently.

You do not need the Ubers unless you need the extra connections they provide.

Nov 26, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #20 of 50

Thanks!

Darkvoice 336SE tube headphone amplifier,, 322 AUD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111988575354?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Connect it straight to your Xonar DX.

Or a good budget option, Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier, around 107-150 AUD.
Connect it straight to the Xonar DX

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #21 of 50
What do you think of the grace design m9xx in comparison to schiit magni uber / modi multibit? I'm currently deciding between these two amps, with the advantage of the grace being a single unit compare to easier future upgrade for the schiit stack.

I'm also open to other recommendations of any.

Will be driving my sennheiser 6xx and customart music one from my pc.

Thanks in advance

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 50
What do you think of the grace design m9xx in comparison to schiit magni uber / modi multibit? I'm currently deciding between these two amps, with the advantage of the grace being a single unit compare to easier future upgrade for the schiit stack.

I'm also open to other recommendations of any.

Will be driving my sennheiser 6xx and customart music one from my pc.

Thanks in advance

The Dac in the m9xx would be a significant downgrade from the multibit. As far as the amp goes, the m9xx won't pair as well with the 6xx.

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #23 of 50
The Dac in the m9xx would be a significant downgrade from the multibit. As far as the amp goes, the m9xx won't pair as well with the 6xx.

Can't really find many review on the modi multibit sadly.. Thanks for your input.

Do you have any other recommendations of all in one unit like the grace or jds elements that is comparable to the the schiit stack?

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #24 of 50
Can't really find many review on the modi multibit sadly.. Thanks for your input.

Do you have any other recommendations of all in one unit like the grace or jds elements that is comparable to the the schiit stack?

Check the Modi Multibit thread here or elsewhere, literally dozens of reviews and hundreds of impressions.

An all in one to match the Schiit stack with the multibit? Not unless your wanting to spend significantly more on an Audio-GD product, which are also pretty good.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #25 of 50
Assuming all of the following work out to be the same price (or a very small difference), which would be the best option for the HD650s

AUNE T1 SE Mk3 

AUNE X1S

Matrix M-Stage HPA-2

Nuforce Icon HDP

Objective 2/ODAC

Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2

or is there something else entirely in a similar price range?

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #26 of 50
  Assuming all of the following work out to be the same price (or a very small difference), which would be the best option for the HD650s

AUNE T1 SE Mk3 

AUNE X1S

Matrix M-Stage HPA-2

Nuforce Icon HDP

Objective 2/ODAC

Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2

or is there something else entirely in a similar price range?

Magni 2/Modi 2 from your list.  Stay away from the O2, it is a terrible pairing with the 650.  You could also do a Vali 1/Modi 2.  Both options are $200 direct from Schiit.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #27 of 50
I am in the same boat as yourself, based in India, and looking to upgrade for a desktop. Just to confuse you a bit more and add another option, do look at Creative G5/E5, I have heard its almost equivalent to Modi/Magni Stack

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #28 of 50
Don't get the standard Modi 2, you need the multibit unless you want to have connection issues if you have a newer PC.  Windows 10 and USD 3.0 ports don't like to recognize the modi.  I had to connect mine through a non-powered USB 2.0 hub to even get it to work and it will only allow a max of 24/48 for some reason.  There's a thread on here somewhere of a whole bunch of us with this issue.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #29 of 50
My setup sounds really good to me:

Aune M2S > Audioquest Victoria 3.5mm  to RCA > Nuforce HA200 > Cardas Blue Litz cable > HD650 > Brainwavz angled velour pads (angle of the pads, imo, enhances soundstage, while the super thin fabric of these cups allows me to remove the stock foam insert of the HD650, minimizing the material between the driver and your ear).

For portable use I use M2S headphone out to Dunu DN-2000J. That sounds great, fantastic even, but the desktop setup definitely sounds better overall, although I haven't done extended listening with these particular setups. Although there is a slight hiss through the headphone jack, it's not dead silent It's insignificant, if anything's playing or there's any background noise in the room or it's not otherwise silent and you're listening for it, it's unnoticeable. What you hear me saying is that for portable use it's a nonissue. However, I don't recall any hiss at all through the line out, unless of course it's in the music, but otherwise it's dead silent afair.

My argument here is that you might want to consider getting a quality DAP to use as a source for your HD650, then you can simply get some nice IEMs or other portable headphones (actually you *could* use the HD650 portably, if you really want...) and you'll have your entire collection everywhere.

I find the HD650 responds well to the M2S, perhaps because it is an uncolored player that allows the HD650 to flex its muscles. My Fiio X3 (1st gen) does *not* do the HD650 justice. I mean it sounds good of course, especially via the line out, but the M2S really allows the details and imaging to shine. I didn't have my Fiio X5 (2nd gen) at the same time as the HD650, although from comparisons between the X3 and individually the X5 and M2S, the M2S seems simply more uncolored and generally more accurate than the X5. The X5 sounded great with exceptional detail retrieval and liveliness, clean across the entire range, but the M2S comes across as more articulate - faster and more precise in general. It also makes the X5 seem colored, in an attempt to overshadow its shortcomings. It would be interesting to do some direct A/Bing.

Unless you can get a good deal on the M2S like I did, you may want to look at the M2 or M2 Pro, I've read great things about those as well. In fact, a video reviewer on youtube noted they heard no difference between the Pro and the S, and since I've seen a few people running with that, although I've not heard the Pro. There are plenty of excellent portable DAPs these days, though, so I guess all I really may have done was add a lot more options to consider. <_<.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #30 of 50
Don't get the standard Modi 2, you need the multibit unless you want to have connection issues if you have a newer PC.  Windows 10 and USD 3.0 ports don't like to recognize the modi.  I had to connect mine through a non-powered USB 2.0 hub to even get it to work and it will only allow a max of 24/48 for some reason.  There's a thread on here somewhere of a whole bunch of us with this issue.

This entirely different depending on the PC.

Most computers will have USB 2 and 3 ports. Many have also used the Modi 2 with USB 3 with success. Windows 10 works fine with Modi.

Even still, the Multibit is $150 more than the Modi 2 when you could get a powered USB hub for under $10. Otherwise you also have the Modi 2 Uber option at only $50 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back