Amp/DAC recommendations for Grado SR80i
Aug 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nojwe

100+ Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to the high end audio world, but I just got a pair of Grado SR80i that I love, and am looking to get an amp/dac. I've been eyeing the Schiit Modi/Magni for the apparently great bang for the buck, but am wondering if there are any other recommendations out there for under $150-$200 that work well with the Grados. I primarily listen to classical through my MBP. I also have Etymotic HF5s that I like a lot.

One other question: any recommendations for either Mac compatible music players or EQ software? I'd like to try to level out the treble of the Grados a bit to cut down on fatigue. Or is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 14
What are you currently hooking your Grados up to (make/model)? My experience is that a better amp/dac doesn't help as much with them as with some other headphones.

You might see if the Dragonfly v1.2 would suit your needs.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 14
Hello. Got mine going thru a FiiO E09K/E07 combo, no EQ changes...they sound great to me, tho I can imagine some might like a tad off the treble...but I say listen a while and see how they are, you might well get into the sound...

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 14
I have the SR125e, Magni, and Sound Blaster Z. The Magni does improve my Grado's sound, but I do agree that you don't need it. I also compared my old Corsair Vengeance 1300 headset through the Magni vs direct from the sound card and it was like I was listening to a completely different headset. The improvents in my Grado are much more subtle.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 14
  I'm fairly new to the high end audio world, but I just got a pair of Grado SR80i that I love, and am looking to get an amp/dac. I've been eyeing the Schiit Modi/Magni for the apparently great bang for the buck, but am wondering if there are any other recommendations out there for under $150-$200 that work well with the Grados. I primarily listen to classical through my MBP. I also have Etymotic HF5s that I like a lot.

One other question: any recommendations for either Mac compatible music players or EQ software? I'd like to try to level out the treble of the Grados a bit to cut down on fatigue. Or is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp, $75

Are the Grados a little "bright"?
Like your sitting right in front of the stage/band?

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 14

Are the Grados a little "bright"?
Like your sitting right in front of the stage/band?

Yes, a little treble heavy and they feel a bit close: like I'm right in front of the stage and there's not much 3-dimensional depth (from me to the back of the stage).
These are new headphones though, so I'm anticipating that they will change a bit as they continue to burn in.

Thanks for the responses so far, I've been looking at the Fiio E10, E07, and E17 a bit today and it seems like they could be good options as well, although my impression is that the Schiit offers the best performance for the money still. Thoughts on that?

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 14
I'd go for the Vali instead of the Magni. The tubes will tame some of the treble you speak of.

As far as software goes, I highly recommend getting Fidelia on your Mac instead of using iTunes. To me it vinyl-izes the sound. Adds extra depth and warmth.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 14
I'd go for the Vali instead of the Magni. The tubes will tame some of the treble you speak of.

As far as software goes, I highly recommend getting Fidelia on your Mac instead of using iTunes. To me it vinyl-izes the sound. Adds extra depth and warmth.

I'm leaning away from the Vali because it will be too noisy with my IEMs, although I do like the "tube sound"

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 14

Yes, a little treble heavy and they feel a bit close: like I'm right in front of the stage and there's not much 3-dimensional depth (from me to the back of the stage).
These are new headphones though, so I'm anticipating that they will change a bit as they continue to burn in.

Thanks for the responses so far, I've been looking at the Fiio E10, E07, and E17 a bit today and it seems like they could be good options as well, although my impression is that the Schiit offers the best performance for the money still. Thoughts on that?

My $27 Fiio E6 amplifier could easily drive the SR80i headphones, so I'm guessing there would not be much, if any real noticeable difference between the amplifiers you've talked about, for driving the SR80i.

Or maybe sell off the SR80i and put most of your audio budget towards buying better Grados?

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 14
yup...add a tube somewhere in the chain...grado loves tubes.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 14
What are you currently hooking your Grados up to (make/model)? My experience is that a better amp/dac doesn't help as much with them as with some other headphones.

You might see if the Dragonfly v1.2 would suit your needs.

Currently just plugging them into my MacBook Pro (Early 2008 model) or iPod touch. They sound pretty good, but are muted/covered compared to plugging them into my friend's home set up (sorry, not sure what exactly he has, though I know it's mid-high end).

Then I'd check out the little dot 1+. Killer hybrid tube amp that accepts many tubes and opamps

How's it sound with Grados or other low impedance phones (IEMs, especially), I'm hoping to little to no hiss. 

yup...add a tube somewhere in the chain...grado loves tubes.

Thanks for the recommendation. It does seem like Grados will pair well with a warm tube sound.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to go with the LD. It's a cheap enough experiment to see if it makes a difference to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back