Amp/Dac of DAP on a budget..
Sep 9, 2019 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ski22

New Head-Fier
I have an Iphone, but I am considering switching back to Android in next year or so (likely grab a Nokia or Pixel). I also have a 5-7% hereditary hearing loss, so I can't hear high frequency ranges and get tinitus (ring in my ears, anytime I think about it etc.). Generally I hear fine in normal setting, but I do struggle when there is background noise etc. I have noticed that listening to high fidelity recordings I can hear a lot more (personally, not actually), or at least it probably seems more than the average person (because mp3 sound "muddy" to me often). I have some 2 pairs of Audio Technica, one over the ear, on on ear that support aptX HD and just aptX respectively. I also have a pair of Fiio F9 Pro that I typically use a bluetooth cable with.

Anyways I'm looking to get an Amp/DAC and would like to keep it $150 or less. Max, I wouldn't want to spend more than $175 ish. Since I have the iphone (AAC) is there any Amp/DACs that support bluetooth in this way? Would the Fiio M6 work as an Amp with airplay feature, especially with allowing better bluetooth codec connections? Or should I go with something like the Fiio Q1 Mark II? Or any other Amp/DAC suggestions?

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 6
Just bumping my thread. Any advice would be appreciated. Should I go with amp/usb dac for corded headphone setup, or is there a solution for an iphone airplay dac/amp setup with much better bluetooth codecs through the Fiio M6 or some other other device?

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi i'm not too experienced in bluetooth gear, but a lot of headfiers here use the Radsone Earstudio ES100, which is a wireless bluetooth portable amp/dac.
I don't have it but it has good reviews. Check it out on this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio-es100.867366/

Otherwise if u get a USB DAC/AMP cable, it can also give quite good sound quality via smartphone. Such as the sonata HD, which I use with my android phone. It has no bluetooth though. This thread has more details:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hidizs-sonata-hd-dac-cable-new-tiny-and-mighty-dac-amp.880478/

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 6
I don’t think the Earstudio ES100 works for me because I would need something that can transmit Bluetooth vs just a receiver. Or can it transmit?

Does the Hidizs Sonata HD work on iPhone with a lightning to usb C adapter? I had trouble finding anything on this. If that will work it’s definitely a plugged in setup that I’d be happy with portability of and price.

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 6
I don’t think the Earstudio ES100 works for me because I would need something that can transmit Bluetooth vs just a receiver. Or can it transmit?

Does the Hidizs Sonata HD work on iPhone with a lightning to usb C adapter? I had trouble finding anything on this. If that will work it’s definitely a plugged in setup that I’d be happy with portability of and price.

Hi for the ES100 I'm not sure about the bluetooth transmission question as I don't own one. Maybe u can enquire in their dedicated thread. Don't worry the headfiers are quite friendly and someone will help answer u soon!

For the Hidizs sonata HD, I only use android phones but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with a lightning to USB C adapter with iphone. I have tried a few OTG cables to connect the sonata HD and it works with no issues. But best to enquire in the Hidizs sonata thread to confirm as there are quite a number of iphone users there. If u do get the sonata HD, there are a few modes u can flash it to, we users usually flash it to mode D which gives the best music sound quality.

All the best with your search for a good DAC/AMP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back