amp/DAC needed for hifiman he560-PLEASE HELP!!!
Dec 9, 2014 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mike2014

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new at this so please excuse any unclear questions. I really appreciate all the info that the members on this site put forth and the outstanding/informative reviews. I have been looking at length to upgrade my headphones which are a beyerdynamic DT990 pro which i hook up directly to my TV. I narrowed my headphone choices down to a used audeze LCD-2 rev2 vs Hifiman he560 (both costing around 650 US dollars). I will be using it primarily for watching movies on vudu via PS3 and some gaming. I am almost decided on the he560 due to substantially better comfort than the audeze and what seems to be an almost as good sound based on the discussion on this forum.

I have never owned an amplifier or a DAC before. I read alot about the Schiit. My initial thoughts were to use a Schiit lyr($350) with an HRT-music streamer II ($140). other schiit choices would include the lyr2 ($450) or asgard 2 ($250) vs hifiman EF5 or EF100 ?

is the sound of the he560 drasticly improved with an amp/DAC set up? which of the above or any other amp/DAC would you advice?

Thanks again

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 17
If you get any of the upper-end planars, you really need an amp - especially the HiFiMan 'phones. I think you would be better served by the LCD-2 for movies than the HiFiMan - the bass extension is better.

I also want to warn you that these are open headphones that provide almost NO isolation. They also do not block any of your sound from getting out, so anyone else in the room with you will hear what you are listening to.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks Billy bob_jcv I appreciate your advice. I actually bought the he560 last night - soon after I put the post. I guess I will try it and hope for the best. What do you think as far as the amp/DAC combo. I was hoping to keep it around $500. How about the hifiman EF100 vs schiit lyr/music streamer II or lyr/bifrost?
Thanks again for your help.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 17
What do you think as far as the amp/DAC combo. I was hoping to keep it around $500. How about the hifiman EF100 vs schiit lyr/music streamer II or lyr/bifrost?

With that kind of money I'd look into the Schiit Modi ($99), plus either the Asgard2 ($249) or Lyr2 ($449). Check their first if anyone's tried either with your headphones, especially the Asgard.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks I read the reviews on the modi and I defi like it. What so you think about the lyr instead of the lyr 2? I read on a post that there isn't much difference between the two on sound quality.

Also, I haven't been able to find any big reviews of the EF100 or a comparison with the schiit amp/DAC - any thoughts? I am considering the EF100 because i called hifiman and they said that the EF100 was made for the he560.
Thanks again

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 17
With that kind of money I'd look into the Schiit Modi ($99), plus either the Asgard2 ($249) or Lyr2 ($449). Check their first if anyone's tried either with your headphones, especially the Asgard.

Thanks I read the reviews on the modi and I definitely like it. What do you think about the lyr instead of the lyr 2? I read on a post that there isn't much difference between the two on sound quality.

Also, I haven't been able to find any big reviews of the EF100 or a comparison with the schiit amp/DAC - any thoughts? I am considering the EF100 because i called hifiman and they said that the EF100 was made for the he560.
Thanks again

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks I read the reviews on the modi and I definitely like it. What do you think about the lyr instead of the lyr 2? I read on a post that there isn't much difference between the two on sound quality.

I based my recommendation on the Lyr as that was the one I got to try, but where would you be able to get one? Does Schiit still have any on stock? If you can get a used unit at a much lower price than a new Lyr2, then go right ahead.

Thanks again

Haven't really listened on the HiFiMan amps; my above recommendation was based solely on my experience with the Lyr and a bunch of other Schiit amps.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 17
Haven't really listened on the HiFiMan amps; my above recommendation was based solely on my experience with the Lyr and a bunch of other Schiit amps.

Thanks protegeManiac I found a lyr for $ 350. It comes with the GE tubes which I read are pretty good especially for my level. I like the reviews I have read about the schiit lyr it sounds like a powerful amp and I think it will give an extra punch to action movies. Again I am very new at this I am sure my description is very simplistic and probably very off but I am trying I guess : )

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 17
My only hesitation about getting the lyr/modi is that the EF100 is the same company as the headphones he560 and from what I understand has both amp and DAC but I kind of doubt it is as powerful as the schiit lyr but I can be completely off. I don't know if anyone can help with some input about the EF100?

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 17

Would you recommend the modi with optical or the USB? I will be watching movies on vudu via PS3- is it better to connect the modi to the TV or directly to the PS3?
Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate your prior replies.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 17
As a general guideline, I usually try to process or convert any signal as little as possible. If I can get the digital bitstream from the source to the DAC without having to process it along the way, I think that's a good thing. So, if you can get the digital audio directly from the PS3, that's what I would do. However, I suspect that as long as the digital data is unchanged along the way to being sent to the DAC, it probably doesn't really matter. There can be a concern about delays between the video & audio that cause movies to be slightly out of sync. Some TVs actually have settings for adjusting this in their configuration menu.

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 17
As a general guideline, I usually try to process or convert any signal as little as possible. If I can get the digital bitstream from the source to the DAC without having to process it along the way, I think that's a good thing. So, if you can get the digital audio directly from the PS3, that's what I would do.

Thanks BillyBob_jcv do you recommend an optical cable or a usb one? Any specific brands?

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 17
The HE560 is really a spectacular headphone that scales very well with top end dacs and amplifiers. I'm sure they will sound fine with the schiit gear, but from my experience with its 400i stable mate, a high current, high damping factor amp will make the 560's really sing. Same thing goes with your DAC. The 560 will reveal the limitations of your source. Have fun with some really great cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back