Amp & DAC for Work
Oct 27, 2009 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RampantAndroid

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for an AMP/DAC at work - I use HPs like the UM3Xs, SE530s and might end up with some cans at work; I mainly want a AMP so that I don't have to deal with the hisson my zune, and I want a DAC because my workstation's AC'97 is well...crap.

I'd probably be willing to spend 250 USD on this, and would prefer it to be a amp & dac combo...I tried looking through the forums and found some ideas, but want more suggestions. If suggesting a portable amp makes sense, feel free to - but I'd prefer to avoid dealing with batteries.

Also, the ability to lock the amp to my desk at work would be a plus
o2smile.gif

Looking forward to suggestions!

Thanks,
RA

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 11
D10 Cobra has got lots of love around here. Alternatives you may consider:

iBasso D4 Mamba for 219. But only have USB in.
iBasso. Has impedance matching as well - probably for switching between IEM and cans.

If you want some that runs with direct power supply I was looking @ Musiland Monitor 02 US with USB toslink and coaxial. I didn't buy it cause I couldn't find it during my trip to China. You may order through web though.
±±¾©ÀÖÖ®°îµç×ӿƼ¼ÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾

But if you are using IEM on a PC system consider getting a dacamp with toslink. If you use cans for office I would say D4 Mamba fits your bill better.

I just ordered D10 myself :p

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 11
heh. yeah. I would go with the D10 as well though it's a portable.

like onesec, after doing my research, I've just ordered one about half a day ago, so I'll be waiting for it to come in now. =P

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 11
I agree that the iBasso D10 looks like a nice alternative.
Small size and versatile. Doubles as a portable DAC/amp as well if needed.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 11
D10 looks awesome, and I only said 250 because it sounded nice and round :p

I think I'll go for that, but I'll check out the other suggestions as well. For the D10, how does charging work - and should the battery degrade at a certain point, is it easily replaceable? Should the battery die, can I just run the AMP directly from DC power (where's the plug for charging it?) Lastly, can I charge and use it at the same time?

My biggest concern is that a batt powered DAC/AMP will eventually have the battery die, and I'll be up a creek without a paddle...is the battery in it easily found somewhere like digikey?

Thanks everyone!!

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 11
I use a HOTAUDIO bit-perfect Dac/Amp.It is very small amd powered by USB.Took a while to burn in but sounds good on my pc and laptop.For $80,you can leave it in the office and not worry to much.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Why does it always have to be for a few dollars more.I probably get more enjoyment from my $5,000 system than a lot of folks who have a system costing $50,000,(i know a few of them).Could be cause i have all day to listen to it.
happy_face1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 11
Compass is great, but it is not physically small. I just got one, and I love the sound, but it is a bit too much for a desk.

I'm looking for something smaller as well, it's got to fly under the boss-man's radar. The LD MkIII was an attention grabber, it didn't last long. Compass is even bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back