Amp/DAC for the LCD-X --- just to nail it, I already did my research
Jan 12, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #16 of 24
So, I had the chance to listen to a few amps and headphones yesterday.

Amps:

1. Sennheiser HDVA 600
  2. Musical Fidelity M1HPA
  3. Lehmann Black Cube Linear
  4. Meridian Prime
  5. Stax SR-007 MKII

Headphones:

1. HiFiMAN HE-400 (my own with the HiFiMAN silver cable)
  2. Sennheiser HD800
  3. Grado GS1000i
  4. Grado RS1i
  5. Stax SR-009

Transport:

1. Rotel RCD-1070

As well as being extremely impressed by the GS1000i (once again) when listening to anything related to guitars, I was very much impressed by the Lehmann amp. Very good clarity, a lot of power, enough bass even with the HD800, instrument separation was great, .... I just really felt like I was in the music, not just listening to it. The M1HPA was great for electronic music but it was just too warm for acoustic guitars and subtle tracks. The Sennheiser HDVA 600 was great with the HD800 but I had to crank it quite a bit with the HE-400 and it didn't justify its price tag of 1400 Euros, at least in my humble opinion. The Meridian Prime suffered from bass overload spilling into the mids with the HE-400. If I did own the HD800 I might consider the Meridian for them as it might just give them that bit of extra bass they are a little bit shy of. But, honestly, the Lehmann had plenty of bass, not that much sub-bass with the HD800, obviously, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice detail for a little bit more pressure in the lower regions.

And, while being there, a Musical Fidelity V-DAC II was returned after just a couple of weeks because the owner decided to go bigger. I will pick that one up for 140 Euros cash tomorrow, as well as buying the Lehmann for 770 Euros. Unless anyone here has something to tell me about good reason not to do so.
Especially with the V-DAC II being so cheap I can always upgrade later on to Gungnir or the irDAC or the McIntosh d100 (which I am trying to find for a listening session after reading very very positive reviews). 140 Euros for a quality DAC is a no-brainer, the Lehmann sounded amazing with all headphones I threw at it.

Obviously, the Stax combo is in a different league to most equipment in this list and it was a delight to listen to them, but I am just not willing to sell a kidney to be able to afford it (yet).

TL;DR:

I will pick up an essentially brand new Musical Fidelity V-DAC II for 140 Euros and the Lehmann Linear (no USB) for 770 Euros tomorrow. Anybody against that? 

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #17 of 24
From your list, I'd suggest the Schiit M&G combo. It's a substantial upgrade from the Bifrost/Burson.

The Gungnir > WA22 is my favorite combo with the LCD-X, though.

Isn't the M&G combo a bit too bright and harsh sounding for the LCD-X? I'm currently using the Conductor to drive my XC's and think they match extremely well. As you say though, the X and XC are more cousins than siblings.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #18 of 24
Single ended, Bifrost, into the Mjonir was slightly too bright versus the Bifrost into the Soloist, but I thought the Mjolnir was wider in the soundstage, but the Soloist was deeper, and had more meat on the bones....

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #19 of 24
Audio-GD Master 9 to get the best out of your LCD-X! 

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 24

I will pick up an essentially brand new Musical Fidelity V-DAC II for 140 Euros and the Lehmann Linear (no USB) for 770 Euros tomorrow. Anybody against that? 

With the Dac technology improving everyday, i'd look into an unit which you can upgrade. With the V-DACII you'll be pretty limited (and it's also discontinued)

The Burson's have top notch performance and modular design. They have been releasing upgrades for their units (Dac, usb) i strongly suggest the Conductor, or the SL models if you don't need the preamp function. 

Few guys are starting to use it:
http://bursonaudio.com/burson-conductor-feedback-by-austin-g-with-audeze-lcdx/

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #21 of 24
Isn't the M&G combo a bit too bright and harsh sounding for the LCD-X? I'm currently using the Conductor to drive my XC's and think they match extremely well. As you say though, the X and XC are more cousins than siblings.

When I tried the Mjolnir, with the Anedio D2, I thought it was too bright and harsh. I like my LCD-3, yes a different beast, with the Bryston BHA-1.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #22 of 24
I am surprised no-one has mentioned the Yulong Audio DA8, the Audio GD NFB-27 or NFB-28 which are all combined DAC/amp setups. Are the Audio GD regarded as overkill (powerwise) for the LCD-X? Is the amp section of the DA8 not up to scratch of the conductor?

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #23 of 24
Thanks for the input, but I guess this thread is pretty much obsolete now. I currently have to setups at home, one in the reading room, the other in the living room.

Reading room:

MacBook Pro (early 2011) > V-DAC II > Lehmann Linear > headphones

Living room:

MacBook Pro/CD player/turntable/PlayStation 4 > McIntosh MHA100 > headphones/speakers

I am more than happy with that at the moment. Upgraditis is quiet... weird feeling. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back