Amp/dac for Hifiman HE-400's?
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bcd127

Head-Fier
So here is my issue. I'm just starting to really get into the high end audio stuff and i'm kinda getting confused. Right now i own a pair of Shure srh840s. they are great but im looking for something with more bass, so i may go with the hifiman he-400's but that isn't right now but rather in the future. My question is what is something i should invest in now that would do my shures good but will also work for the he-400's good in the future? right now im just using the shures straight out of my laptop. I guess what im really looking for is a lesson on what im going to need. I would like to stay around $150 if possible. If not, what am i going to need to spend? 

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
So here is my issue. I'm just starting to really get into the high end audio stuff and i'm kinda getting confused. Right now i own a pair of Shure srh840s. they are great but im looking for something with more bass, so i may go with the hifiman he-400's but that isn't right now but rather in the future. My question is what is something i should invest in now that would do my shures good but will also work for the he-400's good in the future? right now im just using the shures straight out of my laptop. I guess what im really looking for is a lesson on what im going to need. I would like to stay around $150 if possible. If not, what am i going to need to spend? 

The next step up in quality for you would probably be to get an Amp/DAC combo. They have them available in your price range. You'd need one that can connect to a laptop. Which is most of them. If you can go up to about $200.00 you can get something pretty nice like the schiit Magni/Modi combo. Lots of power and a good DAC. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
The next step up in quality for you would probably be to get an Amp/DAC combo. They have them available in your price range. You'd need one that can connect to a laptop. Which is most of them. If you can go up to about $200.00 you can get something pretty nice like the schiit Magni/Modi combo. Lots of power and a good DAC. 

So if im right the Magni part is the amp, and the modi part is the dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back