AMP/DAC for Focal Utopia
Nov 20, 2016 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Mtx704

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a good amp and dac pairing for the Focal Utopia headphones. This can be a DAC/AMP combo or separate components. Right now I am just using the headphone amp in the Apogee Ensemble audio interface. I am looking to get more of a bass response and oomph out of the Utopias. They have excellent clarity, but I need a bit more punchiness. I am looking in the $2-3,000 range, and while transportability would be nice, it is not a necessity. 

I am considering the Woo Audio WA8, as June and several others have suggested that the pairing is addictive. However, I am a bit worried there will be some loss of clarity. Has anyone heard this pairing? What are your thoughts? What other suggestions do people have for this price range to preserve clarity while improving bass response? While general suggestions are helpful, I am hoping to hear from people that have heard their suggestion in use with the Focal Utopia specifically. Thanks!

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 25
  Jude likes WA8 Eclipse. Focal use it as well at shows.

Yes, it is a lovely pairing with the Utopia--a headphone that, in stock form (for my tastes), makes good use of a little bloom and richness from the WA8 (which sounds every bit the desktop tube amp to me, despite its size).

The way Nicolas Debard (of Focal) and I figured it out was trial and error. He was at our Head-Fi office in Detroit, and we swapped the Utopia around with a bunch of different amps, and the WA8 was a standout with it.

Though I now prefer to use the Utopia with Elear pads, it is still a solid mating with the WA8.

I'd have to watch the video again, but I don't think I once referred to the WA8 as "portable" in it. In my opinion, it's just not. Transportable? Yes. Portable? No. To me, the WA8 is a wonderful desktop tube amp that just happens to take up an itty bitty amount of desk real estate.

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 25

Yes, it is a lovely pairing with the Utopia--a headphone that, in stock form (for my tastes), makes good use of a little bloom and richness from the WA8 (which sounds every bit the desktop tube amp to me, despite its size).

The way Nicolas Debard (of Focal) and I figured it out was trial and error. He was at our Head-Fi office in Detroit, and we swapped the Utopia around with a bunch of different amps, and the WA8 was a standout with it.

Though I now prefer to use the Utopia with Elear pads, it is still a solid mating with the WA8.

I'd have to watch the video again, but I don't think I once referred to the WA8 as "portable" in it. In my opinion, it's just not. Transportable? Yes. Portable? No. To me, the WA8 is a wonderful desktop tube amp that just happens to take up an itty bitty amount of desk real estate.

Thanks for the reply. I am also interested in using the elear pads. I posted this in a separate thread (in hindsight I should have just included it in this thread). Do you know how I can purchase the elear pads? I cant seem to find a way online anywhere. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 25

Thanks for the reply. I am also interested in using the elear pads. I posted this in a separate thread (in hindsight I should have just included it in this thread). Do you know how I can purchase the elear pads? I cant seem to find a way online anywhere. 

I'd like to be able to pick up another set or two myself, but I don't think that's doable just yet. It's a sad sight to be sure, but our Elear has spent most of the last couple of months naked, padless, its togs re-assigned to Utopian duty.

When I find out more, I'll let you know. If you find out first, please let me know.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 25
Jude and anyone else,
I just obtained the Focal Utopias and am running them off of an iMac with Audirvana+ to a Continental V5.  I also have a Dragonfly Red that I use when portable with my Laylas.  The Utopia setup sounds wonderful, but if you have experience with the CV5 and the WA8, do you have any thoughts on what works better with the Utopias?  This is actually my first foray into headphones after years of JHAudio CIEMs (JH13 and then Laylas based on your recommendation, in fact).
So as a neophyte with headphones, and a love of classical piano, violin, and orchestra, and small jazz piano groups, what do you suggest.  The Utopias don't seem to strain the CV5 amp at all, happy to say.
Thanks so much,
Luke

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 25
  Jude and anyone else,
I just obtained the Focal Utopias and am running them off of an iMac with Audirvana+ to a Continental V5.  I also have a Dragonfly Red that I use when portable with my Laylas.  The Utopia setup sounds wonderful, but if you have experience with the CV5 and the WA8, do you have any thoughts on what works better with the Utopias?  This is actually my first foray into headphones after years of JHAudio CIEMs (JH13 and then Laylas based on your recommendation, in fact).
So as a neophyte with headphones, and a love of classical piano, violin, and orchestra, and small jazz piano groups, what do you suggest.  The Utopias don't seem to strain the CV5 amp at all, happy to say.
Thanks so much,
Luke

Also, is the DFR needed in the Focal Utopia hookup to the iMac and CV5 (I already use it for portable use from the iPhone 7+ to the Laylas) or is the iMac DAC already good enough.  Thanks again,
Luke

May 13, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 25
There is a used Maple Tree Audio Ear+HD super 2 available locally (100km drive), which i might get for my Utopias, any toughs?
It has Brimar 6BQ5/EL84 (2x) and Raytheon 5751 Windmill Getter (2x) tubes on it.
And comes with additional tubes. Tube Amp Doctor 7025/E83CC.

I have not used tube amps before.

May 13, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 25
There is a used Maple Tree Audio Ear+HD super 2 available locally (100km drive), which i might get for my Utopias, any toughs?
It has Brimar 6BQ5/EL84 (2x) and Raytheon 5751 Windmill Getter (2x) tubes on it.
And comes with additional tubes. Tube Amp Doctor 7025/E83CC.

I have not used tube amps before.
Don't know about that amp but have heard the Utopia's out of a Amps and Sound Kenzie (that I own now) and it was fantastic. The other setup was out of a Cavalli Liquid Tungsten prototype and a Chord Dave and it was almost beyond words. The later was a $20,000 setup so if you got the coin...

May 15, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 25
Sorry to bring back an older thread, but which one of the below (from your experience or otherwise) would be a better match for Utopia:

1 - Schiit Mjolnir 2
2 - Schiit Ragnarok
3 - Auralic Taurus MKII
4 - Cayin IHA-6

May 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 25
Sorry to bring back an older thread, but which one of the below (from your experience or otherwise) would be a better match for Utopia:

1 - Schiit Mjolnir 2
2 - Schiit Ragnarok
3 - Auralic Taurus MKII
4 - Cayin IHA-6
Actually I preferred the Audeze Deckard. Nearly got the Ragnarok but decided against it after testing it with the Deckard. Wider soundstage.

May 17, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #13 of 25
Actually I preferred the Audeze Deckard. Nearly got the Ragnarok but decided against it after testing it with the Deckard. Wider soundstage.

Really? An Amp that can easily be found for below $400 is better than a $1,700 amp?

May 17, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 25
You'd be surprised. I was when I auditioned both with my new Utopia.
I had it a few months back, and was underwhelmed by it. Sold it. Granted that time I did not have the Utopia. I had the HD800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back