Amp/dac for disappointed HD800 owner
Mar 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #151 of 239
Quote:

I wouldn't trust a review from anyone who spends this kind of money on cables: "[size=x-small]AKG K701's [/size][size=x-small]modified to use about 15 feet of Audio Note AN-SPx speaker cable which, at last count, cost at least $1K per meter".[/size]

Who spent $1000 on a headphone cable?

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #152 of 239
Quote:

Who spent $1000 on a headphone cable?

Nobody. The reviewer says the cable uses "15 feet" of cable that [size=small]"cost at least $1K per meter[/size]".  That would make it a FIVE THOUSAND DOLLAR HEADPHONE CABLE!  Meanwhile respected Professional Studio Engineers say if you are paying more than $10/foot for cable you are throwing away your money. But this thread isn't about cables or reviews where the author seems to be bragging about how expensive their equipment is... Cheers.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #153 of 239
Just to add to this thread I have just received the Meier Corda Jazz and connected it with the Audiolab M-Dac and not getting any real joy out of the combination. Wondering if I made a mistake buying the Corda Jazz. The soundstage i am getting on the HD800 is narrow and not as expansive as maybe the AKG K702. Instrument separation is also sub-par. The performance I am getting out of this setup would be OK if it was the HD 650.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #154 of 239
Glenn's OTL has got some nice reviews lately about how well it matches the HD800 and T1.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/2359glenn-studio/2205

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #156 of 239
i think the bryston would be slightly brighter and more analytical while the phonitor will be more neutral, i could be wrong though, haven't heard them. the phonitor is supposed to be a really nice amp with hd 800 and u can always play with the crossfeed and other options it has.

May 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #158 of 239
Live in Toronto, just got my HDVD800 from Bay & Bloor radio today.

It sounds amazing out of box for everything I pumped in. However, you have to use the Balance end of the amp, the single ended is not better than my RPX-35 + DAC1 system.

The HDVD800 added more weight to the bass and put sharper highs the the already shape HD800. The result is very big sound stage + very clear sound. I think they tune the HD800 perfectly as what they should sound like, even Hip-hop and rap sounds good on it now. I do have an Balanced T1, and it does not sound as good as I get from HD800 for the same reason. The bass is a bit too much and the treble is a bit too much around 8K range.

If any one live close to downtown Toronto, pay a visit to BBR and try to audition the HDVD800, you will find it impressed.

P.S.
I am not a tube lover cause I do not like Distorted sound on both low end and high ends. However, for people like the smooth coloring, I heard that Woo Audio is a very good choice.

May 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #159 of 239
Quote:
Live in Toronto, just got my HDVD800 from Bay & Bloor radio today.

It sounds amazing out of box for everything I pumped in. However, you have to use the Balance end of the amp, the single ended is not better than my RPX-35 + DAC1 system.

The HDVD800 added more weight to the bass and put sharper highs the the already shape HD800. The result is very big sound stage + very clear sound. I think they tune the HD800 perfectly as what they should sound like, even Hip-hop and rap sounds good on it now. I do have an Balanced T1, and it does not sound as good as I get from HD800 for the same reason. The bass is a bit too much and the treble is a bit too much around 8K range.

If any one live close to downtown Toronto, pay a visit to BBR and try to audition the HDVD800, you will find it impressed.

P.S.
I am not a tube lover cause I do not like Distorted sound on both low end and high ends. However, for people like the smooth coloring, I heard that Woo Audio is a very good choice.

You should check out the HDVD800 thread and leave your opinion there. With all this praise, I'm starting to wonder if the unit I was promoting at the audio show was pre-production... I wasn't incredibly impressed with it. Perhaps my system is just that much better. I'm letting the store unit burn in so I can give it another proper listening session.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 30, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #160 of 239
Quote:
You should check out the HDVD800 thread and leave your opinion there. With all this praise, I'm starting to wonder if the unit I was promoting at the audio show was pre-production... I wasn't incredibly impressed with it. Perhaps my system is just that much better. I'm letting the store unit burn in so I can give it another proper listening session.

Well, I think it is a personal thing. The tube V.S. Solid State debate will never end. Some ppl like the smoothness, warmness with more "feeling" of the music , others likes the "precision" and "accuracy" with very flat response. For me, as a HD800 lover, I like their house tuning and do not want that to be changed.
Hence, the HDVD800 sounds better compare to the other tube amp I have tried. However, I have never tried any high end tube amps(2000+ dollars), so I can not make the statement that HDVD800 sounds the best. With the price, the HDVD800 dose proved more detail and sound stage compare to my other SS amps. Therefor, I think it is worth a try for people that is still looking for a good match for HD800s.

I am actually making HD650 balance cables and see how well the 650 preforms on it.  

May 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #161 of 239
I ended up with a tube amp but always swore I would not go that route. The best ss amps I've tried with the HD800 are the likes of b22, bha-1, phonitor and many ss speaker amps. I would love to try the GSX mk II though.

I still have my mjolnir, but it's been collecting dust :/

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #162 of 239
I think DACs matters a lot. Mine is just mid range one, so maybe it does not fully display the potential of an amp.
I heard GSX is a very good amp. Not sure how good it is compare to the BHA1 with dedicated power supply.

May 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #163 of 239
My hd800 sounds much nicer on the wa2 vs my soloist. Still sounds good from the soloist though. Personal preference i suppose.

Still like vocals and tone on the t1's best:wink:

May 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #164 of 239
My hd800 sounds much nicer on the wa2 vs my soloist. Still sounds good from the soloist though. Personal preference i suppose.

Still like vocals and tone on the t1's best:wink:

Have both phone, keeped both of them for sure.
The tuning for both phone are very special for me.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #165 of 239
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/icon-audio-hp8-mk2-tube-headphone-amplifier-page-2

Has anyone tried this British amplifier with the HD800? The name of the company is Icon Audio and is based in Leicester. I wonder if it is any better than the Woo Audio amp? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back